Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
that would put you inland of Nerja by 10 miles and on the edge of the Sierra's , you will probably find ceiling fans in some rooms and as you will have at least 3 sides with windows/doors you should be able to get a good through draft if internal doors are left open during the day .... what is it with the English that they must have air conditioning we have been to Cyprus and Turkey both in July when its been in the 40's before 10am and not had it... just back from Greece where it reached 31 some days and the sun shone into our room but we still didn't need it if we opened the door we had a through draft

yasus
wizard
Hi Brian :) Welcome back, hope you had a good holiday.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was just panicing about being able to sleep. I'm not fanatical about Air Con, kept it off for the week in Sharm in April as it seems to give us sore throats. Best to throw open the windows.

I just felt that Costa del Sol in the summer we may come up against high temperatures.

I remember a 3 key apartment in Minorca, same time of the year, with just a fan in the bedroom and nothing in the lounge where the kids slept and it was melting, so I think I was basing my concern on that.

Doe :wave
doe

if you find a map of CDS, find Nerja and go 10miles [ 16 km ] north you will be in roughly the right area

Brian

and yes thanks Kos was brilliant managed 31 deg on two days around 26/28 rest of week and NO RAIN :rofl
Thanks again Wiz. Am going to try and get a road map. My parents had an apartment in Salobrena 30 years since and my Dad might still have one about covered in dust.

Hopefully Cosmos will send us something as you have to pick up a car at the airport and then find the villa yourself :yikes do sat navs work in other countrys ? Though about buying one here and putting it in the car over there. (am wondering if I have just typed something really stupid :oops: :oops: )

yes if you get one with European mapping, but bare in mind that other countries do not have the detailed mapping of out ordnance survey

Brian

edit
your route would be

take local roads from airport watch for signpost to the E15 get on E15 traveling east follow this road till just north of Nerja then take the MA-105 north for around 12 km [don't know exactly where your going] then local roads to destination approx 71km taking between 40 & 60 minutes
Thanks again, will write the above out. At present don't have full details all I know is we are 3kms from Frigliana, but not sure in what directionn. Will post if I get more details, am sure that Cosmos will send some kind of directions with the tickets, but that's not for a few weeks yet.

Hi doepsmic

I can assure you that if you're going to Frigliana you will certainly be up in the hills! Watch out for the hairy drive down to the coast

Katy
katy2 wrote:
Hi doepsmic

I can assure you that if you're going to Frigliana you will certainly be up in the hills! Watch out for the hairy drive down to the coast

Katy

Ekk! :yikes That sounds a bit scary, think we are about three kilometers outside of the village though, so hope thats downhill. i am assuming it is an area that is plentiful with private villas.

Other half will be doing the driving as have hired a manual and I am only licenced to drive autos. lol. ;)

:hyper . You've booked Chris . :hyper . . Sounds brilliant. . This sounds like mainland spain and not Majorca :rofl
we are about three kilometers outside of the village though, so hope thats downhill. i am assuming it is an area that is plentiful with private villas.

Hi Doe.
If it's the villa that I think you have booked, :smile: it has rafted ceiling fans and looks very nice.

Looking at Google and north of Nerja, there is a urbanisation called Cortijo San de Rafael between Nerja and Frigiliana...it's nearer Frigiliana than Nerja and looks about the right area...well, there ain't much else up that way only hills, so I guess it has to be this area. :wink:
Will send you a map via pm and other info.

Sanji
Oh Sanji you are my hero (well heroine really :kiss ) I would be very grateful for anything you send me. I think it is in the urbanisation you mention. I love this forum.

I do feel a little at sea going back to the costa del sol after so many years, but despite the fact that I am now an 'old bird' I am extremely excited. Think it is because I have been Turkeying and Egypting for the last few years with the young teens as much for economic reasons as anything else and now need a change. DH definately did. :rofl

We will be perfectly happy with ceiling fans and throwing open windows. I hope Brian didn't think I was some kind of snob asking about aircon, we like it hot, it's just the sleeping really. I don't expect small private villas to have the same things as hotel rooms really.

I hope Brian didn't think I was some kind of snob asking about aircon,

of course i did :rofl :rofl its just that one of the most common moans [apart from Mozes] is about the lack of /cost of air conditioning.. and I'm afraid my answer to people i meet abroad moaning is well you shouldn't have come when you know its too hot for you... :que

i think you will be fine where your going

Brian
San Raphael is considered to be one of the best areas in Nerja. It does come under the munucipiality of Frigiliana but is not in the Frigliana hills. It is on the road up from Nerja to Frigiliana.

Generally the people who own property in that area would certainly be able to afford aircon if they thought it was necessary. If you haven't got it, then you will probably be fine without it!

I have a villa, not in Nerja ,but not far from there. This year for the first time we have rented it out. I know that we have lost bookings because we don't have aircon, but having lived in the villa for 6 years, I know it isn't necessary (except for when doing a pile of ironing)!. If you have aircon, you need to be inside with the windows and doors closed! I prefer to throw everything open and enjoy the climate!

Have a great holiday.
Thank you for your comments Kayley. :)

I think I paniced a little as I normally stay in hotels. I am sure we will be fine. 30 odd years back my Mum and Dad had an apartment in a village called Salobrena and I went every summer for about 5 years and we didnt have aircon then and were fine, I had forgotten this. It was at the top of the village and we just opened the patio door to the balcony if we got hot. My Dad who is far too old and disabled to travel now wants me to go and look to see if it's still there. :yikes

The area certainly sounds very nice. :tup I like the idea of being surrounded by hills, greenery and other villas dotted about in the distance.

Doe
A little bit of feedback on this post.

I was actually bumped from the original villa I chose by Cosmos, due to overbooking and we were allocated another private villa with pool in the same area of San Raphael which did have aircon in the three bedrooms.

I must admitt we would have found it difficult to sleep without this in the height of summer so it was great to have the option. DD didnt understand how to use it the first night (well she hadn't noticed the unit on the wall or the remote) and had a poor nights sleep because of it.

I am sure outside of July and August it would be fine not to have aircon but to sleep at night in summer it is definatley a very big plus and we appeared to be right at the top of the foothills where I would have thought the temperatures would be the coolest, but there just wasn't an ounce of breeze day or night.

Brilliant area for a holiday :tup so scenic, but with lots of options for things to do should you so wish - well as long as you have a car.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.