Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
Profiles
21 Posts
I can't say I have ever noticed the dash/line with any active members, only members who have never visited the site after registering. But I have a feeling that a software update a few years ago may have affected the profile display for some members. Your profile currently shows to me as Last visited: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 pm, the timing slightly out due to the HTs clock constantly running slow. :hmmm
David :wave
David -Sanji's and a couple of other profiles are showing as -(dash) to me, although I know they log on regularly. Mine is showing correctly as today's date and time :que
David-Thanks for replying....I had a feeling it might be a gremlin in the software.
I just wanted to check something and I noticed it when the member has been back on the site after I had answered their question in detail, but obviously the question or the reply wasn't that important. :wink:
As far as my profile is concerned, I too am showing just a dash.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/profilej.jpg/

Sanji
It's strange that we are seeing different things. If it's the glitch/gremlin I am thinking of, it also resulted in some members showing a joining date of 1970, long before either they or the site was born. :hmmm
I'm also only seeing a dash on Sanji's profile and one or two others :que
What do you see if you look at my profile ?

David :wave:

I see a dash like Sanji !
You're a dash David.
We could always add (ing) and make it a dashing David . lol
Yes, same here. Dashing David :rofl
This has something to do with the member going online hidden rather than visible. When hidden, it doesn't show the date in the profile, when unhidden it does.

Of couse, Moderators can see the date even when somebody is hidden.

Mark :)
If that's the problem then Mark, that means that David was "hidden" on his last visit. Surely a moderator wouldn't be hidden, in case someone needed to contact them.
It does look like David was hidden.

Not sure why. Perhaps he was going back to his childhood and wanted to play hide and seek :rofl :que

Mark :)
I didn't realise I was hidden, :oops: I must have been hiding for years and nobody missed me. :rofl

I'm still showing 'off-line' so I must have to log out and back in again.

Problem solved, cheers Mark.

Sanji
Sanji you must stop playing games with dashing David - people will start to talk. I've never really understood why people would want to be "hidden", unless of course, as in Sanji's case, they didn't realise they were. What are the benefits?
I can't remember ticking the box to go hidden, :oops: I only ever go into the User Control Panel when we alter the time when the clocks go back/forward and I keep the same avatar which is hosted on my BT web space because it's more reliable and I got peed off with ImageShack not displaying my red cat....I never noticed if I was on or off- line either.
What is the point when the Moderators can see who's on line and what you're doing.?

Sanji
There are 12 hidden at this moment in time, but I don't really see the point myself. I presume you have to be "out there" in order to post :que
as sanji can now confirm you can still post if hidden,

for you information there are currently 11 hidden 9 of these are crawlers [auto bots] which are scanning the pages for search engines [bing/google etc] and two members

wiz
Well, that's another glitch/gremlin that can be crossed off Van's list ! :wink
The reason I am sometimes hidden is that it's the only way I can carry out my routine mod duties. When I am visible, I tend to get swamped with PMs from members with holiday questions, passport or insurance enquiries, etc. Apart from the fact that I am not exactly fast on a keyboard and it does take me a while to answer them all, these are all questions that should be asked on the forums so that other members can also offer their opinions, which may differ from mine. Sometimes I think too much happens by PM and that may be another reason why forums are quieter - but that's another topic !

Helen T wrote:
There are 12 hidden at this moment in time, but I don't really see the point myself. I presume you have to be "out there" in order to post :que

I'm always almost hidden, I always click the option when joining a site. About 4 years ago I joined a well known site for over 50's, I'm a night owl and will often still be posting or reading posts at 2-3am and at the time I started receiving pm's from a another member who sent me numerous pms as soon as I came onto the site. The pms were not obscene but the content was sometimes a little inappropriate, I started to get really uneasy about the whole thing, feeling almost as if I was being stalked. I considered reporting the poster but there really wasn't anything to report other than someone sending me an inordinate number of pms, so I clicked on hidden and didn't receive any more late night missives. So it's become a habit now to click on hidden.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.