Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Hi

We have just returned from a week in Puerto Mogan - our second visit in two years. It is a beautiful part of Gran Canaria - an island where all the other resorts appear to be incredibly overdeveloped but Puerto Mogan has resisted and has its own individual and quaint character.

The resort has everything that we ask for - good restaurants, interesting little shops, marina, beach, with sunloungers and umbrellas, that is clean to sit on, and sea that always seems to be warm. There are no clubs, no music bars and not a lot of facilities for children. It caters basically for couples who appreciate a holiday in a peaceful setting. It is exactly, if not better, as in the photos!! It is not cheap - but then you pay for what you get!

The first year, we stayed in one of the apartments looking over the Marina - but found it a little noisy, particularly very early morning when all the rubbish clearing and cleaning was carried out. The apartment, although having a terrific view, was a little bit "worn" and the beds were very uncomfortable.

This year, we stayed at the Cordial Valle Apartments - ours was perfect! Modern furniture, well equipped kitchen, tv with satellite, spacious bathroom, balcony with loungers, etc. It was cleaned 5 out of 7 days a week. The staff were more than helpful. It would have been useful to have wireless in the apartment, but there were three computers in the reception area for public use - 1 euro for 10 minutes.

The apartments have been designed well - so they do not look over each other - but it takes a little while to get to know your way around. There are three pools - once again, very clean and well equipped with loungers and umbrellas.

We did look in the Cordial Playa Hotel which lies next to the apartments and it was very impressive. However, we chose the apartments as they were cheaper and we could only find half-board at the hotel which is a bit restricting when there are so many good restaurants around.

We did drive through Playa Taurito and although the hotels are excellent there - there is no comparison at all between there and PM.

As you gather, I am a total fan and thoroughly recommend Puerto Mogan.

Best wishes. Helen
Thank you so much for that reply - it does sound like the sort of place that we'd love and the hotel does look fab! :cheers

At the minute we are trying to work out what we can afford to pay next February. The prices seem to have gone sky high for 2010 so we may have to buy a tent and camp out on Puerto Mogan beach! :sun2

Thanks again

:wave:
Yes Puerto Mogan is a lovely little place.

Kath x
We paid approx £850 for the week - flight, transfer and apartment. We used Thomsons - which seemed the most competitive. Normally we book flights and hotels independently but in the current climate we thought the guarantee of a large travel company was a safer option.

The one problem we have encountered with Gran Canaria is that they are very strict on luggage allowance at the airport. Both years, although we have had no extra luggage to that which we travelled out with from Stanstead, we have been charged extra at £11 per kilo. They do suggest transferring garments from the hold luggage to hand luggage but that is really not a very popular thing to do when you have about 100 people queuing behind. Besides, if it is the same weight going on to the plane,I cannot fathom the rationale.

We will definitely being going next year though!!!! Counting the days!!!!

Helen
Hi - was that half term week for the £850 and bb or Half board?

Thanks

:tup
That was from 30 March for seven days. The apartments are self catering - so we just got bread, cheeses, etc from the local supermarket a couple of minutes away and had breakfast on the balcony each morning. Sweet dreams!!!!

I think next year, we'll go for ten days as the price isn't too different and seven days just goes too quickly.

Also, even with the euro worth no far off a pound, we didn't find the restaurant prices more expensive than last year. I think like in this country they have maybe reduced their prices slightly.

Helen
Hi Helen,

Just wondering how expensive the restaurants were for say a 2 / 3 course meal plus wine -- nothing too fancy !
Am I right in thinking that the apartments have a supermarket nearby?
And finally, is it quiet there? Eg the walls aren't paper thin or the people above dont sound like they're moving in !

Many thanks - I had looked at these apartments a while back - am off to have another look!

:cheers
The restaurants around the harbour are most expensive - because of their position. Behind the marina part there are three very good restaurants on the main street and also behind the beach the restaurants are cheaper. We were averaging about 50 euros for a meal - but we do drink alot (!) and I do enjoy the fresh fish which is more pricey.

We found no problem with noise in the apartments - we weren't there during school holidays but as it is not a particularly child-friendly place (no amusements, water parks etc.) I think the apartment complex would remain peaceful. Our apartment was very spacious - well equipped kitchen/dining area with table and four chairs/sofa, chairs, tv - large bedroom with good wardrobes and large bathroom with bath - balcony with table and chairs and two loungers. The decoration and design was excellent as was all the furniture.

There is a big supermarket in the shopping "mall" opposite. This doesn't seem to be taking off very well - but we were talking to one of the shop owners who said that in 2012 there will be a direct fast road from Puerto Rico to Mogan which will bring in more people. There is one lovely shop called Naturana - which I have also seen in Portugal - really nice for pressies.
I have stayed at Taurito a few times now..and as enjoyable as that is, Puerto Mogan is my favourite place in the whole of the Canary Islands although we have not stayed there. We stay in Taurito and as our hotel provides a free bus daily to Mogan, I made the most of it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.