Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
It is being reported that the Qawra Palace Hotel has been temporarily closed as a precautionary measure due to public health concerns, possibly related to the presence of Legionnaires' Disease.

Tour operators and hotel management are arranging alternative accommodation, whilst health authorities continue to investigate the matter.

David
Word on the Independent of Malta is tourist trying to book this hotel have been told that it is closed for refubishment and will be open in December.
But work on cleaning the cooling tower has already started.

Dave :sun
I don't think the above post is correct. The following is the whole article of the Malta Independent with re to this case :

The Qawra Palace Hotel was temporarily closed yesterday after health authorities found the presence of the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ Disease, a respiratory disease which is not transmittable from person to person.

The decision to temporarily close the hotel was taken as a preventive measure and in the best interests of the hotel’s residents and its employees.

According to doctors, outbreaks of Legionnaires’ Disease occur after people have inhaled the mist that comes from water sources such as air-conditioning units, whirlpool spas and showers which are contaminated with Legionella bacteria.

In a statement issued jointly by the Public Health Department and the Malta Tourism Authority, the authorities said they had agreed to temporarily close the hotel as a precautionary measure, on the grounds of public health concerns.

The department and the authority insisted that the “temporary closure of this hotel is a precautionary measure taken in the best interest of tourists and the local tourism industry and should not be a cause of concern for guests and staff of the hotel”.

They said the hotel management and the tour operators involved had already taken the

steps necessary to relocate the guests and find alternative accommodation for them for the remainder of their holiday.

The statement continued that the Public Health Department was proceeding with its investigations into the situation, which is being monitored by the Malta Tourism Authority.

Sources close to the health authorities who spoke to The Malta Independent said the situation, although serious, was not a cause for alarm. The sources said the decision to carry out investigations inside the hotel was taken after the Public Health Department received a number of reports of cases of this kind of respiratory disease.

A number of deficiencies were discovered from tests carried out on site by the authorities. These, along with reports of the prevalence of the disease, obliged the authorities to decide to temporarily close the hotel, in the best interest of its guests and employees.

Doctors said that patients with Legionnaires’ Disease usually have a fever, chills and, sometimes, a cough, which at times is dry. Some patients may have aching muscles, a headache, a feeling of tiredness, loss of appetite and, occasionally, diarrhoea.

One can find the article on:

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/newsview.asp?id=28140
Found another article in the Malta independent in which it did said that tourist have been told that it is closed for refurbishments and will be open in December. But the article also said that the hotel is currently carrying out work in accordance with the guidelines of the European Working Group for Legionella Infections and the hotel wouldn’t be opened until the health authorities certify that the bacteria is no longer present. The whole article can be found at:

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/newsview.asp?id=28211
That may be so but I did not have the time to copy all that but it is true, but short and to the point, (just like this)

Dave :sun
But as always, better still to have the whole picture :wink:
What is the latest on the Qwara Palace? Travel House is offering 28 nights from Nov,23rd and I would jump at it if the hotel is O.K. We were there 2 yrs ago and it was O.K.
Hi Mick

There is some information here, but it's at 13 October. Haven't found anything more recent yet.

http://www.di-ve.com/dive/portal/portal.jhtml?id=155845

luci :wave
Thanks Luci,not looking too good is it . We used the indoor pool every morning and it wasn`t too bad but that was 2 yrs ago. Hope it is sorted as it is not a bad hotel if you get a room on the front.
As I said, that article was from 13 October and things might have changed, but I couldn't find anything from the quick look I had.

Try the link to the Malta Independent in Gocca's post and look for more recent news. I've just tried the search facility on it, but it's been disabled at the moment.

luci :wave
Please help. Having read all the comments on the above hotel I am a little worried, but I realise that everyones expectations are all different. However, I am very worried about the posting with regard to the Hotel being closed for Legionnaires Disease. We have booked this hotel for January/February but cannot get much information as to what is happening now. Can anyone shed any light on this. Many thanks.
May I suggest that you email The Malta Tourism Authority The manager for Tourism Support Services is a Mr Noel Falzon Email noel.falzon@visitmalta.com or go on there web site http://www.visitmalta.com

Hope this is of some help
Stew
Thanks Stew, I will definately email and see if I can get any sense from them. Regards.
Just seen in todays Maltese Newspaper Qawra Palace to reopen (AFTER REFURBISHMENT) on the 16th of Dec PLease book now for Xmas Special

Different

Stew
Hi Stew,
Many thanks. I did email Noel Falzone and he confirmed that the Hotel was re-opening this week after refurbishment and has been given the all clear by the Health Department and Tourist board. It all looks good for our trip in January especially as the Hotel has apparently been refurbished. which according to alot of reports on this site, it badly needed. I would be interested in reading the reports from now on. Once again many thanks for your info. Regards. Maureen
Hi

Haven't heard anything about it being closed, but will investigate it further for you all!!

Bigmom :wink:
Hi Bigmom,
I have read all your messages and very helpful they were to. Look forward to your report on the above hotel. Regards.
Just returned from Malta a week ago. Our Hotel was near to the Q P Hotel and we walked by it most days! Just to reassure you that they were completely refurbishing inside and out and opening before Christmas. By the looks of it, it should live up to its "four stars"! Right on the sea front as you walk outside the door.

Have a good time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.