Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
First thing what price are we talking about and which dates.

Depending on that I think there may be much better options to the two choices you have so far.

There are four of us in the party, aged 44, 42, 15 and 14,

The bigger ships have more for the teenagers to do. you basicly have 4 adults in a small cabin, I would look a the cheapest options and think about 2 cabins or look for the trip with free adult places(not in school hols though)

Back to your choices and this point.

For a number of reasons, we're veering towards the Star. The package would involve an early flight from Dublin on Saturday morning landing in Palma shortly before 10am (assuming it's on time), giving plenty of time to board, get settled, see the town and relax.

The Spirit package involves the horrible prospect of a lunchtime flight from Dublin on Friday, landing in Palma at 4.45pm (assuming it's on time!). The day is gone.

We prefer the early flights because we get on the ship early and get home early last day, cost is getting up early.
There is not really time to do the town and we prefer to settle into the ship. by the time you are onboard had lunch and looked round the ship the afternoon is gone.
The advantage of the later flight is a leasurly start to the day and a few extra hours on board/do the town last day still plenty of time for dinner.

Personally, I'm a big fan of stand up comedy, so the Jongleurs link-up with the Star appeals to me. So far, it would appear a no-brainer.

No idea what this means in terms of quality/quantity of comedy, cruise ship canot do the same stuff as the local comedy club too many kids and sensitive adults on board.

More worryingly, where the Spirit is concerned, I've seen several references to "excessive vibration". Now whether or not that represents a slight irritation or a physical onslaught that requires the services of a chiropractor afterwards, I don't know.

I fear both your choices will be noisy compared to the almost silent running of the big ships.

Think also about the eating arangements Star is casual self service and I think the Spirit is Traditional dining(can someone confim this it is a while since I have needed to condider these ships in detail.)

Let us know your cost/budgets and date/flexability and lets see if there are any other offerengs.

Assuming dublin is your airport of choice can you give us an idea of the flight options, I think Barcelona is on a cheap route any others. eg can you get to Southamton airport cheap there are some good option for 2week cruises from Southamton.
Agree entirely with W'J. We have sailed on both IS and TS, and since then sailed with other far better lines, but at similar or lower prices. The last thing you need is a couple of bored teens, as there is little to entertain them on the "package" cruiselines. As a father of three children, can vouch for this opinion, the package cruises are well geared for pre-teenage children but not the teenager grouping. Better for them with Royal Caribbean.

Get a hold of a variety of brochures from local TA and see for yourself before booking. Certainly get RCI and NCL for starters, and possibly Carnival all of whom cater well to teenagers.
I can't comment on the Star, but we have just booked our third holiday on the Spirit - I hear what the others are saying about other cruise lines, and you should definately take this into account. However, if you decide to stick with the original 2 ships, all I can say is we love the Spirit and so have our 2 teenage sons (now 17 & 19) who have travelled with us on this ship and enjoyed it. Our oldest, more outgoing son met up with lots of others in his age group and had a whale of a time - he was 14 and 16 at the time - in fact we rarely saw him in the evenings. Our other son is much shyer and stuck with us, but he thoroughly enjoyed the poolside games and quizzes during the day and the shows and game shows in the evening (even though we can't drag him to the theatre at home).

We did not feel the vibration was excessive, and we were staying in the basic 4 berth inside cabins.

Gill

ps - were you offered all inclusive? The Spirit usually offers this, which is even more of a saving.
I should add we don't have kids so have based my views on observations and facilities available. the type of young adult will make a difference to what could work.

You know your kids so read up and see what may work.
I would agree with Windjammer and Hamrag and I most certainly would look elsewhere. You will pay as much and sometimes even more for an inferior product.
Here I am talking about new ships with fantastic facilities and comfort plus much more included. I would agree that RCI would be fantastic also Princess although I would say RCI would probably be better for the Teens.

Yes you could fly out to Barcelona or fly to Southampton. Next year RCI have got Independance of the Seas out of S/H and also P&O Ventura. I have not cruised with P&O for many years but have used the others. Get some brochures and DVD which any cruise company or TA can get for you and have a look. You have plenty of time so don't rush into anything. There are incentives to book early and at the moment I know that RCI are giving £200 off per room or £100 for single occupancy. Often booking early will bring a really good deal failing this there are late deals. The other thing to keep in mind is that with RCI Princess Carnival etc is that if the price drops you can have that drop applied to your booking. You just have to keep an eye on the Cruise Company web site and then ask your TA to get the adjustment.

I helped a friend book a cruise to Alaska just a few weeks ago. I saw an ad. last weekend for this cruise from San Francisco doing Alaska and then Vancouver. I checked with the web site and for their grade of room there was a reduction of £253! Yes it now means that for the cruise element they are only paying £609 for 15 nights which is working out at just over £40 per night. They also have an 11% discount from the TA they booked through. They have the flights to pay for but for a 5* ship which includes all their food room service etc with excellent entertainment it is a fantastic deal. This is for 27th April next year. This will include the transfers and the first night in a hotel. Just do your homework and have a fantastic holiday.
It is very much a buyers market!

Sue

Sue
Thanks folks. There's been a development. We've been offered two balcony cabins on "Navigator of the Seas" for a five day Med cruise, followed by two nights at the Barcino Hotel in Barcelona. Aer Lingus flights to and from Dublin are also included aling with all transfers.

The cost is pretty much the same as the Spirit and Star deals we were offered.

That's a very attractive package, especially as we've never been to Barcelona and the idea of two days to explore it properly is very attractive.
And the price is? (dates as well)

Usefull for other to compare deals, and for us to see if we can do better on the pricing for you.
Have only cruised with Thomsons so can't comment on other lines. I do. however, have two teenage children and these loved the Spirit. There was loads for them to do and plenty of other teenagers for them to hang around with. The vibration is overstated - you soon forget about it. We have just booked our fourth Thomsons cruise for next year - on the Celebration in the Baltic.
And the price is? (dates as well)

Usefull for other to compare deals, and for us to see if we can do better on the pricing for you.

The price is €5,600 euro, return flight leaving on Monday June 30th, five days cruising then two days hotel. That covers two balcony cabins.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.