Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
If you are concerned about both hotels why don't you consider another part of Malta with much better hotels such as Sliema ?.
Hi - are there any that you can recommend that offer AI? We generally book hols with Thomas Cook and these are the only two offering AI (our preferred board basis).
If you can recommend any that are in a similar price bracket / star rating to the ones i've seen that would be great...many thanks.
We were in the Qawra Palace in October but didn't like the food, they had the same potatoes for lunch and the evening meal for the whole week which we got fed up with. The breakfasts were okay though.

The seaview bedrooms had lovely views but the bathrooms were so small you could hardly walk in them. The staff were all very friendly, especially the dining room staff and ladies on reception. If you need to know anything more just pm me.
Hi msc1977,

msc1977 - is that the year you obtained your msc?

Well we're off to the Coastline for the 5th visit (sited away from built up areas on the main coast road), next saturday for a week and for a change we're going AI. I can honestly recommend this hotel and one of the reason we're doing AI is that the hotel drinks suit us since they have quality Maltese draught Hopleaf, Cisk, Kinnie and other decent drinks :glynis - non of that foreign fizzy continental muck :yuck that some hotels serve! The food has always been excellent and it's a well run clean hotel with friendly, helpful staff. There is some decent entertainment laid on. The hotel's position is great if you hire a car (lots of carpark space) to get around since using the buses takes too long to get to places for us.

But don't let that put you off cause it sounds like you seem to like being out in the sticks a bit. The Hotel does lay on a free regular bus shuttle service to get you to and from Qwara/Bugibba across the bay, so you can catch buses from there.

You really must check out 'package' prices with Chevron and Mercury on the net, wherever you choose to stay because they seem to be the most competative and also use Air Malta flights! :fly

After saying all that our favourite place is still Sliema but if you hate built up areas it might not be for you. :shrug However, there are some really nice hotels in Sliema but generally you do pay a bit more there. :yipee

We're at the stage after loads of visits to our favourite Island, where we are seriously considering doing our own thing and renting privately. We would probably try to do this as a 'first attempt' in Sliema!

Sorry to go on but I hope this helps,

Trev
Hi Trev - if only i was academic enough to have an msc :lol:

The 'ms' came when i was born in 1977 and the 'c' came a few years ago thanks to my hubby. :D

Thanks for the info, it was really good to read as the Coastline is one that we had considered but i can't find any package prices yet for it for Winter 08 - maybe we're a little early!!

It certainly sounds like the type of place we are looking for, Hubby too likes Cisk and whilst we are most likely going to hire a car we're not adverse to a good walk...

I'm not too bothered about Air Malta flights though to be honest, our experience of Mercury was very good but we were disappointed with the Air Malta flights. They were quite happy to let my then 1 year old be sat on my knee without a seatbelt as the plane taxied to the run way despite my asking twice for one, it was only when my husband got out of his seat when the seatbelt sign was on that they did anything about it!! :( Maybe this set a bad tone for the flight but i didnt feel that the crew were very polite / attentive etc...

I wonder if when you get back you would mind posting what the weather/temp was like and also if the Coastline offer snacks / ice cream etc as part of their all inclusive? Its handy to have the option of getting my daughter food in between meal times if she's a bit peckish. :D

Thanks again for all the info, this along with some other reviews may have moved the Coastline to the top of our list :D Have a fabulous holiday.

msc
Hi Msc, I fully agree with Trevor regarding Chevron & Mercury they have a good selection of hotels for those who prefer a package deal, however I have to disagree with you about Air Malta my wife and I are permanent business class passengers with them and always find them to be most courteous and friendly, it's the little things that really count such as never having to que to get our flights at either Manchester or Luqa and because we use them so often a lot of the crews remember us and treat us very well indeed, I think perhaps you may of had an off day with them.

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2, maybe you're right and we did just have a one off bad time with Air Malta, it was the second time we had flown with our baby and their service compared to that we got from First Choice on the babies first flight was very much lacking. I wouldnt rule out ever flying with them again, but equally i dont know that i would go out of my way to choose to fly with them. I have to say that it is good to hear positive things however, as looking at a lot of the deals i've seen so far they tend to be the main airline used.

Thank you for all your help.

msc
Hello msc,I can back up Trevs report we went to this hotel a few years ago with Thomson, and although we only had half board some people upgraded to AI when they got there as it was a lot cheaper than booking it with Thomson's.
The hotel does have some of the best entertainment I have seen in a hotel and the drinks were good as was the food,
Dave
Well there you have it msc1977! If Dave had any reason to disagree with what I said about The Coastline I know he'd have said so.

But I do have to say that there are other hotels that we have enjoyed staying at such as the Fortina in Sliema. It's an upmarket AI hotel with splendid facilities and food which is reflected in the very high price they charge, which is the reason why we are staying at the Coastline! We stayed at The Fortina a couple of times a few years ago and really enjoyed our hols there. The only real faults we could find were that there was no draught Hopleaf :yikes (an absolute sin!) and the entertainment was either non existent or not very good at that time. This might well have changed.

Regarding Air Malta I suggest you do give them another 'go'. Like Sliema2, there are flight crew that we remember though I'm not as famous as him. You also have to consider that they don't charge for in-flight meals and there's a complimentary drink included! We have found that the vegetarian option is quite good. Generally this has consisted of a really tasty pasta and a fresh fruit salad for afters.

Trev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.