France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Radio Reception
13 Posts
There used to be patchy reception for Radio4 or perhaps World Service on 198 LW. There are 24 hour music stations, but as I'm not at home at the moment, I'll need to find out specifics on my return in a week's time. In the meantime could you specify on the board or by pm what sort of music you'd prefer and I'll try to find out something more suitable than 'europop'! I also have bouts of tinnitus so use music at a low level as a noise block too. If you are travelling with a laptop, and can get WiFi where you will be, you can also get UK stations via the internet .....
Alasacienne, Thank you for your quick reply.

As I said, I do much prefer talk radio, hence asking abuout Radio 4 on LW, but failing that I'll listen to any any easy listening / classical music which I should pick up quite easily

Re WIFI. We took our laptop to the campsite we stayed @ earlier this year, but the WIFI was only in the bar area, and was quite expensive (12 euros a day). I haven't checked with our next campsite yet, but expect it to be the same.

Many thanks, Jim
Maybe not in the same class as Radio 4 ;) but try seeing if you can get Radio 5 Live. I used to tune in to it on 909AM when i was on holiday in Morbihan region of Brittany, and you aren't that much further south so you may just get it (although perhaps being on the coast helped us)

Give it a go
Sorry for delay in replyig, but havn't been near a PC lately.

Cider, Radio 5 would be a good option, as it is world cup time and a bit of footie commentry would be good in the evening. Heres hoping eh

Cheers, Jim
When are you heading down that way and where exactly are you going?

I'm driving down that route next year in May, i'll do a test for you if you want!! :rofl
Cider,

We are going out on 21/06/10, and heading for Blois (between Tours & Orleans). It would be great if you could do a test for me.

Many thanks

Jim
No probs, Jim ... i just looked at it's location on the map, and it's on practically the same line of latitude as Vannes, where we were, so i think you may be in luck ... although as i said, being on the coast can often help

i'm passing through Orleans en route to Clermont Ferrand for an overnight stop, and staying at La Rochelle on our third week, so if i can get it at both locations you may just be lucky!! :D
Well I'm back in Europe but still struggling with jet lag!

Here are the radio stations that you can find around Blois

* 88.1 France Inter
* 89.4 Plus FM Tél : 02.54.58.20.01
* 90.3 Rêve / Vibration Tél : 02.47.28.95.17 / 02.38.70.80.00
* 91.1 France Musique
* 93.9 France Bleu Orléans
* 96.4 France Culture
* 98.4 RVL - Val-de-Loire Tél : 02.54.78.40.40
* 100.6 Fun Radio
* 101.2 Nostalgie
* 102.2 NRJ
* 103.6 RTL
* 105.5 France Info
* 106.5 Déclic Infos Tél : 02.54.55.16.16

France Musique is classical and there's a lot of highbrow woffle that isn't convincing in its content!

France Bleu is my station of choice in the car - a bit like regional Radio 2 with phone ins, easy music and regular news and travel bulletins.

I also listen to Nostalgie - good for singalongs and famous songs from the 60s to the present day.

NRJ (energy!!) is pop and rock as is FUN , RTL is mostly information, and France Culture is what it says on the label ... lots of spoken programmes rather like Radio 4.

I do hope this helps. Have a great holiday when it comes.
I quite enjoy NRJ when i'm in France :)
I have listened to Radio 4 LW in the Medoc area (ie a little to the north-west of Bordeaux and rather further south than the Loire) on all my recent visits. I have only a tiny little very ancient transistor radio and it gets an acceptable signal most of the time. Sitting on a French beach (or even better at a table outside a bar) listening to Test Match Special in August does have a certain calming effect.

Yes of course you can listen to all the UK stations on the Internet if you are lucky enough to be staying in a location with either free or very cheap wi-fi (which I do!) but you cannot listen to the football commentaries, which are blocked to all non-UK IP addresses.
I'm staying midway between La Rochelle and Bordeaux next May on my third week, so that's good to know that you can get some reception in that area, although i did think that i would be able to get some AM or LW stations

Although i have to say that Test Match special would certainly have a calming effect on me ... i'd be sleeping ;)
.....oh, there's always a way around those IP address issues :)
Too far south for AM and R4 is the only LW station.

Anyway, when the analog radio signals are turned off in 2015 the only way to listen to UK radio in most of France will be on Freesat or Internet. Can someone invent a portable freesat dish and receiver please ie one you can carry in your bag as I don't drive!

And can I bid for the contract to dispose of the hundreds of millions of analog radios which will become useless?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.