Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Welcome to HT Elaine.

I only did tent camping for a very short while many years ago, it didn't suit me and any camping I do now is in a large well equiped motor home but I'm sure there are plenty of members of HT who enjoy tent camping and will enjoy discussions with you. Hopefully you will also join in on discussions on other topics. :cheers
Thanks for the warm welcome Judith!!

Shame on you... (!)

All it takes is the right type of planning and preparation and a Tent Camping holiday can suit ANYONE...

We feel lucky and privileged to have discovered something that so many people never do - that the true essence of a tent camping holiday is enjoying the beauty of Nature. Tent campers don't just admire the scenery - they are PART of it.

For us it feels GREAT to go back to basics and shrug off the burdens of materialism...

It's never too late to change your mind Judith!!

Regards,

Elaine
Good to meet you Elaine- my husband is a keen camper having been through the scouts and now being a leader himself. Last year we invested in a Vango Diablo 600 which is brilliant, so much space!! We've done Wicksteed park (to try the tent out) and the harbour campsite at Southwold so far. Hoping for a better summer to get more weekends away, but I'm not ready to give up the comfort of my fortnight in a hotel in the sun just yet.
We also have a cocker spaniel, Poppy who is remarkably calm compared to others we've had (she's chocolate roan and tan) and makes a great camping dog.
Any top tip for campsites within easy distance of Northamptonshire would be great.

Pam :cheers
Pleased to meet you Pam!

We'd love to bring Scampi camping with us... but she would be last seen disappearing over the top of the nearest mountain with her ears flying behind her! We love her to bits but she is completely hyper...

Have you bought any of the Cool Camping books? The campsites they recommend are all in beautiful locations and are geared towards "real camping in a tent" rather than caravans/motorhomes.

The first camping holiday we went on, we ended up squashed into the back of a site full of caravans... no view... no campfire allowed... I was so disappointed. Its well worth doing a bit of research to find somewhere special, isn't it?

"Talk" soon...

Elaine
The books sound great- must go and have a look. Sounds right up our street- the kids love camp fires. Every year hubby takes the girls on a Dads and kids camp with his old Venture Scout buddies form his youth and they go to Harmer Green Scout campsite, which was their old stomping ground and have open fires etc. Much more fun than sites that don't even allow BBQs!!

Pam
LOL :rofl a smelly

Hi from me we are out in our caravan most months so we may bump into each other some day just look for the crocidle Dundee hat :D

Glad to have another real enjoyer ofthe outdoors here
Hi Elaine, my name is also Elaine, as we live in the lake district theres plenty of places to stay, we stayed at Park Foot Pooley Bridge near Penrith which is excellent got a club house with entertainment and plenty for the kids to do We also stayed at
Fisherground near Eskdale which has absoultly nothing except toilet and shower blocks but you can have an open fire which is nice and it gets very busy sometimes cannot get a pitch is so full to me thats proper camping!! and your dog will be allowed on both sites
Elaine
Great to hear from you Elaine!

The papers are saying we're in for a good summer (about time) so hopefully we'll have some great camping holidays this year! We're planning where to go at the moment so thanks for your tips!!

Happy Camping!

Elaine
Hello Elaine, I'm new on here too. I enjoy tent camping and am hoping to go soon with my girlfriend... I live in Somerset so it would be nicer to find a decent campsite further afield from the South West ideally.

What tent do you have for your family? :)
Hi there all
when looking for a campsite I have obviously got sat nav etc I also use M$ Autoroute but there is a website that has Points Of Interest that can be downloaded FREE and then used on any sat nav and by telling M$ Autoroute to use the import data wizard import them into itself to make pushpins ( you need to import the garmin csv ones)

the website is run by a friend of mine called Archie ( and his mate Parafoter) this is the English language short cut and you have to scroll right to the bottom of the page to click on the download button to go to the download page

btw there are in excess of 20,000 campsites in the files covering all of Europe so if you find one he hasn't got let him know -he needs the GPS for the front gate though to place it accurately

http://archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Peace and Love
Hi

My name is Jackie. I know my husband and I are no spring chickens but we have just bought a new tent, our older tent being a frame one. We are looking for TENT ONLY campsites near Essex or Cambridge or Kent. Do you know of any sites and if they are Adults only (I know I am asking a lot) but if not sites, do you know of any good books that relate to tents only campsites in the UK.

Everywhere I go they seem to cater only for caravans but I like to get away from them and as someboedy already said part of the countryside.

Can anybody help.

Re :wave: gards
Jackie
Jackie7458 wrote:
Hi
We are looking for TENT ONLY campsites near Essex or Cambridge or Kent. Do you know of any sites and if they are Adults only (I know I am asking a lot) but if not sites, do you know of any good books that relate to tents only campsites in the UK.

Re :wave: gards
Jackie

Hi Jackie

Now there are some (web)sites that show Aldults only but again lots are for tents AND Caravans

there are very few sites that I know of that are only for tents ( in fact can only think of 1 -- n Wales forgot it's name too --something Island)

Have you attacked Google with your search????
or tried the Caravan and Camping Club ( I'm in the other being a tin tenter) Wish I could help more than that

:tup
Thanks for your help.

I will attack Google and see where I get.

Can anybody suggest any good books of campsites.

Thanks

Jackie
Jackie

May I ask Why Books???

I check out most of the sites on line before we go or even whilst on the move using a mobile phone dongle

I have two type of maps no make that three
I use

Autoroute
Tom Tom
Google Earth

then the web on top I get most of my KMZ POI or points from site such as http://archiescampings.eu/eng1/

I use site searches like
http://www.touringtenting.co.uk/
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/
http://www.vacansoleil.co.uk/campinglijst.php?land=uk

IF you do want paper the only thing I can recommend is the Big Red book from the C&CC
Thanks again for all your information, its really useful.

Many thanks

Jackie
Is it Shell Island,in Wales,very popular for tents.
Crispy wrote:
Is it Shell Island,in Wales,very popular for tents.

that's the one Tents and Motor Homes ONLY
Errr here's one I daren't post somewhere else :rofl

We are thinking of getting another tent :rofl
but I'm getting a Carp bedchair so I can sleep on it and then I can disappear on my own fishing to Twin Lakes France

:whoops
It might be wise to take a chainsaw with you when camping to ward off stray pussycats:

AOL News here

After all, we do get the odd stray panther here in Somerset (allegedly).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.