Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
That is disgraceful a real health and safety issue. Surely this can't be the first time this has happened? By offering you £50 in my opinion they are admitting they are at fault.

What was the name of the Villa so that members are made aware?
Thanks for your reply.
The Villa was Casa Sol on the Algarve.
Early on in their correspondence James Villas told me; "...the safety and regulations overseas may not be of the same level that we enjoy in the UK", which seemed a bizarre response as it suggests that James Villas don't add any value, in terms of ensuring safety requirements, which is nonsensical. Why would you book with them otherwise? Also I can't believe it's any more acceptable to be electrocuted in a holiday villa in Portugal than it would be in the UK - European standards in EU countries must be just as high as ours. Certainly the electrician who came to sort it was pretty gobsmacked by what he found.
I imagined they might be quite worried about their general safety standards and about customers getting electrocuted, but they didn't seem to be

She offered to move us but we were only there a week and had unpacked, etc, so we opted to wait for the electrician instead.

Disappointing but I'm not sure it is completely fair to say that they didn't value your safety. They did offer to move you but you declined.
James Villa's have a legal obligation regarding health and safety - it's no excuse regarding being overseas. Gas fumes in apartments springs to mind :(
Yes we could have taken the option to move, but it felt quite disruptive when we only had a week. We didn't realise it was quite so dangerous, until the electrician arrived and gave his verdict! I guess James should probably have insisted we moved.
I have to say that I had no sense from the James rep that they wouldn't just put someone else in the villa after we left, as she initially was quite sceptical and told me that "no-one has ever complained before". Not my problem ultimately if they put some other hapless person in, but I would have felt pretty bad about it.
Hopefully the electrician has now rectified the problem, for James Villa's sake, as you've now documented it to them so they could be in serious doo doo if some child or elderly person was to be injured - or worse.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.