Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi Kath,
I went to cyprus about 2 years ago now i stayed in paphos,
Even tho i went to the clubs i visited Coral Bay which you have to go to.
Its a beautiful beach!!
Ill write agen!!
i gotta go xx
Coral Bay beach is OK, but its a good 2 hour drive from Nissi.
With a little baby, its just not worth it imho - especially given the beaches closer to Napa
Shirazzy

Nissy Bay is is a subdistrict of Agia Napa [the party capital of the island] and is situated approx 2km from the village centre in the district of Ammochostos [Famagusta] approx 48 km from Larnaka airport, 80 km approx [by road] to the capital of Lefkosia [Nicosia]

what to do/where to go

Lefkosia
shopping, visit some of the many historical sites or Muslims, cross the green line at Ledra street [by foot] and see some of the north of the city

Ammochostos
Drive up to the view point on the green line and see [from the distance] the old town mostly untouched since the 1960's
visit Agia Napa water park and the old monastery, visit Paralimny [not large but the biggest village in the area] shops and a few historical sites,

Larnaka

has a nice prom to walk along and some excellent [back street] Greek restaurants as well as several historic sites

Lemesos [Limasol]

this is the second town of the island and is a busy working town with shops offices etc as well as a tourist industry
pick the right day and visit the distilleries and wineries, around this area [well within 10 km] you can find the historic sites of Amathous, Agia Nikclaos ton Gaton, Kolossi,Kurion [ amphitheater] and many others,

Pafos [paphos]

arguably the richest area in historic sites, the old fort at the harbour [warning drinking/eating in this part of Pafos can seriously injure your wallet] we like to sit and people watch for an hour or so at the Pelican bar [yes they have real pelicans wandering around] in this district yo will also find the tomb of the kings, the mosaics [ent near the harbour] probably the best preserved roman mosaics i have seen and other ruins of other buildings , also in the west of the island you will find the bath's of Aphrodite, the baths of Adonis, the villages of Lefkara [renowned for lace making] Geroskipou the main production of Cyprus delight [the Cypriot version of Turkish delight]

now the biggie Trudos

go up the mountains for the day visit some of the myriad of monasteries the most famous that of Kykkos [the Golden monastery] visit the Tomb of Archbishop Makarios 3rd,

there are so many other sites and villages it would take me a day to list them, most of which are worth a visit [are you going for 6 months :rofl ]

DO not believe what you are told that all Cypriots speak English, although most of those under 30 do we have been to many village taverner's where they don't,

If you do the Troudos make sure you have plenty of fuel as filling stations are as rear as hens teeth

If you visit any of the monasteries PLEASE dress sensibly men will get away with 1/2 or 3/4 shorts but must wear a top of some sort, females trousers/long skirt [light weight wrap] and a top which covers the arms, this dress is to show respect for the monks/nuns also some wont let you in otherwise,

i could ramble on but take a look on the CTO web site for more inspiration

yasus
wizard
If you visit Kykkos Monastery - well worth the drive in my opinion, although to be fair the passengers are able to enjoy the scenery more than the driver, men will not be admitted in shorts. We went two years ago and only long trousers were allowed.

When out and about I tend to wear walking trousers that allow you to zip of the legs and make them into shorts. Just bob them into your back pack and put them on when needed. When you come out take them off.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.