EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
We will also be looking to get temporary jobs (bar work etc) whilst out there....

You would need work permits issued by the Employment Agency at the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, see this website.
I wish you good luck.

As long as you aware the pay will be poor and the hours will be long, then you should be okay as long as you can find reasonably priced living accommodation. Try to steer away from holiday lets and try to find accommodation that isn't via an agent who will take a commission from the owner, which in the long run - the tenant pays for.

I have lived in Cyprus (originally from UK) since 2004 and we have many Bulgarians and Eastern European workers who come here for work as the levels of pay are higher than their home country.

An average "decent" monthly take home pay in Cyprus (for around 40hrs per week & often for 5 and a half to 6 days a week working) is around 1000 Euros. Many workers receive a lot less than that and in the tourism industry - salaries are short and the hours are very long... Many of them share apartments to keep the costs down.

I'm lucky, I work only 30hrs a week for more than the salary I quoted above and am also concentrating on growing my own small business here...

At the very least, you should give it a go to see how it works for you. No good not doing it and always wondering "what if".... Just remember, it may not always be a bed of roses and you aren't going to make a fortune.

Enjoy!

CwB
An average "decent" monthly take home pay in Cyprus (for around 40hrs per week & often for 5 and a half to 6 days a week working) is around 1000 Euros. Many workers receive a lot less than that and in the tourism industry - salaries are short and the hours are very long... Many of them share apartments to keep the costs down.

Significantly better than Bulgarian salaries - a friend worked in Albena as a kamerierka (chambermaid) last year, working from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. (with a break from midnight to 4 a.m., which meant that she could not go home) 6 days per week, for a salary of 200 Leva (around €100) per month.

Baldur
Baldur wrote:

Significantly better than Bulgarian salaries - a friend worked in Albena as a kamerierka (chambermaid) last year, working from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. (with a break from midnight to 4 a.m., which meant that she could not go home) 6 days per week, for a salary of 200 Leva (around €100) per month.

Baldur

Wow!
No wonder the Bulgarians are coming to Cyprus for work!
One to seriously consider for David, the OP...

CwB
thank you all for your replies,

I did indeed think that the wage could be low, but perhaps a part-time job of some type could at least bring in a few lev to keep me a float all summer?

accommodation wouldnt be a problem if there was four of us, its just difficult finding cheap places when there could just be 2 of us or even me one me lonesome!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.