Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thats what i would like to know. The last time i went to North Goa in Jan was 3 years ago, and it was pretty busy. since then we've been going in April.
Im going to North Goa in 3 days so when i get back i will inform
Yeah it was well busy last year in Candolim and Calangute.

Going in 2/12 weeks time, spending 1 week at Morjim/Ashvem and 1 week either at Arpora, Baga or Candolim depending on how busy it is. Can't handle Candolim/Calangute/Baga when it is really busy.
My sister in law had a phone call from friend today who is staying in candolim she said it was very quite, rows of empty sun beds on beach hope it picks up a bit as we go on saturday from manchester anyone else on the same flight
Hi we stayed in baga from 14th Dec - 28 dec 2006.
We were surprised how quite it was.
We could get sun beds at any time though the day with the exception of the main christmas holidays ie Xmas eve and Xmas day.
This was when indian familys and groups came to the coast for the holidays.

On Xmas night we were in a shack on the beach, my partner walked past other shacks and said some of them had not one person in.
We had been told that Xmas was very busy.
We were speaking to the lads in the shacks who said it was quite for the time of year.

May be it is because the cost of flights at this time, and people go for longer but later.
Not wanting to be cheeky but why do you "hope it picks up a bit".

IMO it was too busy last year.

No offense I hope :)
I'm with you on that one, Big Neil.

'Quiet' may be bad news for the shops, beach sellers and restaurants but the quieter the better as far as we are concerned.

Polly
If it's quiet then that's good as I'm looking for a week in a quietish good 'homely' hotel at a good price after my week further up North. Looks like I'll have a good choice then.
All our friends, both British and Goan are saying its been very quiet this season so far..... Candolim and Calangute included. Trouble is everone in the Goan tourist industry is geared up for a large influx of people and if it doesnt happen it has a negative effect on us tourists. (see other thread with people being or attempted to be ripped off).
Personally I think flight prices this year have been a hell of a lot more expensive and could have put a lot of people off. I like it quieter though :D
Michelle
'people being or attempted to be ripped off'

Hmmm... sad!
Went in Oct and Dec - Candolim - just right for me. I like it how it was, not how they would like it to be! Next going in March, hopefully will be quiet again - empty sunbeds and no screaming kids!
Went in Dec' after 9/11 for first time. This is how I thought it was normally like... walk from Stonehouse to Candolim Beach Road ... no more than a dozen people in restaurants apart from Casa Sea Shell. Maybe not too good for business but it was very chilled!
It is a fact that Goa has more visitiors every season, and this season is no exception. Individual places may be less busy, but that is simply because there are so many more restaurants/shacks/bars/shops/taxis that the business gets spread thinner each year.

Goans woking in the tourist industry ALWAYS say that each season is quieter than the last. The fact is that, given that most people only stay for 2 weeks, there are now far more than enough restaurants/shacks/bars/shops/taxis in North Goa to go around. This of course doesn't stop people from opening up yet more restaurants/shacks/bars/shops/taxis and then sitting around wondering where all the customers are.

Like many others. i feel than "busier" does not necessarily mean "better", so if some of the less popular places close down, it would be a good thing for the long-trem survival of Goa.
Philingoa,

I agree with what you are saying. I've heard Goans say that it's quiet when I can see that it's actually busier with traffic etc. So there are more people there just too many businesses trying to make a buck.

Thanks
Hi,

We have friends who are out there at the minute and they say its very quiet in comparison to the past 3 years. Even the shack we go to in Candolim has cancelled there great party nights as there are just no people ! The shack owners think its to do with the terrorist threat (see other post) but it could be a number of things.

We don't go until the 19th Feb so we'll see what its like then. I don't mind it being quiet, in fact i'm looking forward to it even more !

Rachael
me too!! we go 10th March, and i do like it a bit quieter

only downside is when you have too many honey bees and make a noise you sound twice as loud!!! :lol: :lol:
just got back from my first trip to goa, we stayed in calangute an i must say i thought it would be much busier never found it busy once with exception to new year... a couple of the local taxis said this was due to the terrorist threat and there was a lot of security about road blocks and checks and so on. apparantly something like 300 charter flights had been cancelled ever december and jan so they were saying that it was very quiet for the time of year. it was my first time there so cant really compare to previous years!
What terrorist threats? :shock:
We were there in the run up to Christmas and were surprised at how quiet it was too.
just come back and all the shack owners say it it a lot quieter than normal. in my opinion it was just about right
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.