Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
How about Kos - either staying in Kos Town or Kardamena. There will still be plenty of life in both resorts in September, & it is one of the cheaper Islands. Good luck with your search.
How about Kos - either staying in Kos Town or Kardamena

I think I am correct when I say that Kardamena is now ruined by 'lager lout' types, Kardamena has unofficially been known as the 18-30 resort in Kos for some time now , this has been on TV quite a lot recently and a quick google search seems to confirm that, so maybe that is not the resort for you :que
I know Kardamena has this reputation in the summer. I thought that by September things have usually cooled down. We went on a family holiday at the end of September and had a smashing time.
Kardamena has unofficially been known as the 18-30 resort in Kos

THANK YOU you have just knocked 40 yrs off the pendle witch and I. we go to Kardamena and are going again this may, there are plenty of hotels away from bar street it only appears to get loud in the peek season either end, its a nice place

:cheers :cheers
Thanks for the idea of Kos.

We've got some brochures and Zante (particularly Tsilivi) look pretty good, does anyone have any opinions on that resort?
Been to Argassi & Laganas, & visited Tsilivi on a motorbike. I can't say the resort left a lasting impression on me, but I didn't spend much time there. Have you had a look at the resort reviews on here?
With a wish list a little like yours my OH and I took a trip to Kamari in Santorini s/c around the beginning of October (maybe three years ago). It was very quiet (and fine for us), as it was closing down for end of season, however I think a couple of weeks earlier would have seen a greater choice of bars and restaurants in a pleasant resort with a really nice paved waterfront area (nice and flat!). I think in peak season the prices are probably higher, but we had some bargain meals and cocktails at that time of year. The weather was beautiful, beach was quite quiet and we enjoyed getting out and about a bit. A sunset visit to the caldera edge in Fira was well worth the expensive drink to view it at leisure! Fira has some high prices due to it being a stop-off for many cruises.

We bought in cheese, cold meats, bread and salad and mainly ate on our terrace at lunchtime to keep the price down a bit, and sorted our own leisurely breakfast with fresh bread, yoghurt and honey. Our budget went absolutely fine with this bit of tinkering (and not a pan in sight - I don't cook on holiday).

A nice short transfer too for a chilled, budget week holiday! :)
I've visited Tsilivi for lunch, and have to say I didn't particularly like it. Stayed in Alykes and Kalamaki (although granted it was about 15 years ago) and liked both (nice beaches).

We also visited Western Crete (flying to Chania) recently and loved it. Quiet when you want it, bars if you want them, places to eat on a budget and lots to see (particularly liked a wander round Chania itself by day and by evening, loads of character).
Four of us (all adults) stayed in Kamari 2 years ago in August. Although we really enjoyed the holiday - the scenery in Santorini is to die for- we found it quite expensive, and also fairly quiet for the time of year. If you are B & B or SC, entertainment is a nice meal at one of the beach front restaurants watching the sunsets. There are not many bars to speak of, and those that there are, mostly sold cocktails, which tended to be pricey. If you're on a budget, I wouldn't recommend it the way the Euro is at the moment.
Im off to Kamari in June first time in Santorini, ive been to Tsilivi and didnt rate it. Kafelonia is gorgeous with nice beaches and restaurants.
I'm sure you'll have a great time. There are excellent bus links to all other parts of the island as well, with some stunning scenery all over the island.
Hi, I've had a look at Santorini and the only problem with there is that the beaches are not sand, and a lot of the apartments etc say that they are on an incline/hill.

Would Skiathos be a bit flatter, or where would be the best bet for both a sandy beach and not too hilly, but still with a good choice of restaurants and a few bars?

:que

Good job we're not going til September!!! It's so hard to pick somewhere!
Have a look at Lassi in Kafelonia, super sandy beaches, and the main strip is nice and flat
I think you'll find most Greek Islands are 'hilly'
I agree that Kardamena on Kos is a bit 18-30ish. We first went there in 1996 and had a great time with no sign of the 18-30 lot. However, we do go back recently, and was disappointed to find it had succumbed to being a resort to 'party' in.

Santorini has wonderful views, and is a very romantic island. We found it to be just as expensive (or cheap) as any other Greek island we have visited. I do have to say that the beaches are not the best, with volcanic black sand that gets very, very hot under foot. But there are many good points about the island.

Lesvos is also nice. Lots of things to do and see. We stayed in the resort of Petra, but we did find it a little quiet. Molyvos, would be the best place to stay here.

We have been to many more, which i will not go into atm.
My advice would be to research each island on your list, research your chosen accommodation, and you should be ok.
Good luck and enjoy wherever you go!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.