Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Good to have you onboard Brendan! You have probably already seen the hotel reviews here.
I am the mod of this forum but unfortunately have not been to Goa yet. I know exactly what you mean about the warmth everyone has for Goa. We have a great bunch here! ( Perhaps you can join me in the Far East forum as well!!!) Enjoy our forum!
Hello Brendan

The Highland appears to have not received very good reviews on here,(on viewing the last few posts in the hotel reports); but I would not let that put you off.
We have never stayed there ourselves but we meet up with lots of people each year of various age groups who always choose the Highland above any other.
However I must add most of them are Goa regulars and perhaps do not have the expectations of first-timers?

We have been visiting for 5 years now and have seen a lot of changes as others will verify. There is the increase in the British bar/restaurant ownership which to some may be off putting for some, but we find them very enjoyable to pay a visit as they are not in too much in abudnance and tend to be frequented by friendly, interesting people who like a beer and a chat.

We stay at The Phoenix Park just up from The Highland and frequent the rooftop bar TheCountryside Pub above The Taste of China Restaurant, which is very close to The Highland. I should add in all fairness we end up there most evenings after our meal out. :lol:

It has been run for several years by Pete and Tish from Oldham who are a really nice, hospitable couple. There is normally no entertainment, just background music, however he does do " a mean quiz" every Weds night!

We are on the new First Choice direct flight from Manchester too on the 7th Feb and are also waiting for some feedback from others who have experienced this.

What dates have you booked to go out there?

Regards
Ann
:wave
Brendan,
We have stayed at the Highland 3 times, rooms are good, bedroom, bathroom, livingroom with TV and a sort of kitchen area with fridge. Cleaned every day and the food in the hotel at night is good but a bit on the pricey side.

We like the hotel, good for someone new to Goa and you can have a lazy day in the hotel when you want with plenty of space to spread out. We found the best rooms to be near the second swimming pool at the back of the hotel.

If you go to the back of thehotel down from Casa Manolita you can see kingfishers catching fish in the small lake.

There is a girl who sells snacks, samosas, egg rolls etc on the road leading down to HBR, great food and good prices. Lunch for 50 rps.
See Velma or Sue for water, bits & pieces again on the road.
All the staff are great.

Try the Casa Manolita at the back of HBR, european food in old portugese house. Michelin quality food at Goa prices.

Have a great time

Steve
hi brendan
i came back on friday we stayed at the highland we only used it as somewhere to sleep really,our room was clean the kitchen area a bit strange really and the sink didnt seem connected to drains.lighting in the bathroom is very dull and no hot water at sink also no plug,there is a hot tap below shower so you can have hot water using jug.
we didnt look around the hotel but the place is like a concrete jungle and the sun struggles to get through the buildings to the pool area,they have built to many apartments for max profit and it is a bit off putting but from what others say there are much worse so as a base its ok if you spend a lot of time around the hotel on holiday then its not that good but not many people do anyway.take a lock with you for safety deposit box as not provided and dont change money there its a rip off
have a great time we did
Thanks to everyone who has posted already.We are going on March 14th so look forward to reading review of First Choice flight seating layout etc.

I understand we will have to get used to the Indian way of Hotels etc again after a long break.The Thais are certainly more switched on in that department.My wife is a little more worried than me.

I also have read mixed reviews about the Highland Beach but having been to Goa several times know what to expect.For us anyway we usually wander sown to the beach choose a shack(Bobbys Shack gets good reviews)and park ourselves there.

Will keep looking at the forum and hope you will be kind enough to help when you can.

Fiona will take a look at the Far East Forum and post hotel reviews as sson as I have time.

Many thanks to all
hi Brendan
Just in case you haven't seen this here is the link to the First Choice thread.
Hi Brendan,
You mention VillageBelle, out of interest that place has been closed for quite a while now after the owner died. There is talk locally about the building bringing bad luck to whoever owns it, and consequently it has been shut for some time now. That end of Sinquerim hasn't changed agreat deal, apart form some hideous new villas on the hillside on the Aguada road. Did you ever try Bon Appetit when you were there? It is as good as ever.

I remember the old Tristars, we had a frightening experience once when we lost an engine and had to make an emergency landing in Bahrain. I can highly recommend the new First Choice Premium though, we flew witht them to Mexico in May and even had a massage by the on board beauty therapist- sheer luxury !

have a great time.
Hi Brandon

I've travlled to Florida in September on the new First choice flight premium cabin and am also travelling with them to Goa in March again premium please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Joan123
What you will find though Brendan is the changes.We first went about 8 years ago when you needed a torch to walk down holiday street as there were no steetlights.Its a lot buisier & looking more like Benidorm each day sadly.Palolem has dramaticaly changed,but after all that we have just returned after a great three weeks & im sure you will too
Sorry to hear about Village Belle.The owner was always nice to us and concerned that we had everything we wanted.I thought he had sons who would have taken over the business.I can not recall Bon Appetit but may well look it up this time.

I remember walking through a path to the beach and a restaurant on the beach which we had lunch on right next to the Taj holiday Village maybe that was it

Thanks Fiona for the thread to FCA gave me lots of good info.To be honest I would not fly to Goa on normal charter any more.The airlines have got away with cattle class for far too long.Wrong forum for airline opinions though.

Thanks again everyone
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.