Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi madmaxgirl,
First question I need to know, are you moving to JHQ with the British Forces, or are you moving into Rheindahlen village as a civilian. :D
Hi, thanks for replying..
Yes i'm moving to Germany with the army but we've been told we probably wont be living on the camp, so I just wanted to know what the area was like ect.

Emma
Hi,
JHQ is a multi national base near Monchengladbach, and close to the Dutch border. On the base you have a big NAAFI, and you can also use the American, and Dutch PX's as well. Entertainment wise there is the SSVC Globe cinema showing all the latest releases, British Forces Broadcasting Service TV and Radio, plus SKY TV as well. In the summer time the garrison swimming pool, or the Blue Pool as it's known is very popular, and as a forces base there are lots of sports facilities, and clubs for wives and kids, not forgetting the ten-pin bowling alley which is great for a game, and a burger too.
Best piece of advice I can give you is, great as the facilities are, don't isolate yourself in the safe british environment, learn some German, get out and about and explore, the whole of Europe is on your doorstep, so make use of your tax-free car!!
A good source is http://www.BFGnet.de just follow the links to all the information you'll probably need.
You will have a great time in Rheindahlen, even with all the cut backs, it's still one of the best postings in the Army.
If you need any other info just PM me :D
Hiya,
thank you ever so much for your posts..
You've given me alot of info.
Thanks for the website.. i'll check it out now.
Are you in the Armed Forces ?
Do you know if we can get SKY tv over there ?

Thanks
Emma
Hi Emma,
Unfortunately I'm no longer in the armed forces, I was a Cold War warrior, and left in 1989!! In fact I received my HM Forces veterans badge a few days ago. I still miss it though, great times indeed.
Yes you can receive Sky TV in JHQ.
There is lots more to tell, give me a PM, so the rest won't be too bored with my memories of good old British Forces Germany. :D
Hi We lived in Kevelaer, albeit many years ago now. My husband was stationed on RAF Laarbruch and my youngest son was born in Military hospital Wegberg.

We loved Germany, especially all around that area (Wegberg isn't that far from Rheindahlen) and I did live in the town but was also able to take advantage of all the facilities of camp. I did daily shopping in the town and learned enough German to get buy (I could still buy half a pound of mince in German if I had too !!! :rofl

We want to go back for a long weekend in the not too distant future now that there are cheap flights going into Weeze airport (formerly RAF Laabruch !!)

I expect it will have all changed a great deal now.
:shrug

Sally
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.