Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Rhodes in Winter
19 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have photos of Rhodes in winter but I have been there many times out of season. There are no direct flights but going via Athens is easy. At Christmas the Island has wonderful decorations, every village has stars or candles and "kronia pola" in lights. Trees are covered in tiny white lights and the atmosphere is wonderful. There are no tourists to speak of so if you want to take any pictures you just get the scenery. It can pour with rain, really heavy rain and everything looks grey but it doesn't usually last long and there are blue skies again soon. I love the Island in the hot weather but I also love it in the winter when it becomes truly Greek again.
Thanks for the info. Anne.
It sounds like the island is as beautiful in winter as in summer.
I definitely intend to visit in winter one of these days.
When we visit in summer I always wonder how colourful the island must be in early spring.
I also wonder what the 'ravines'/dry river beds look like in winter.
I managed to find a few photos of the island through the seasons on the following website page http://www.rhodosinfo.com/gb/index.htm.
Thanks again.
There's still not a lot of water in the rivers. The wild cyclamen and anemones are a picture in the spring.Everything is green again and it's wonderful to take a picnic into the countryside
Hi,
Please be very careful where you stay. It is bone chillingly cold in the winter at night, we were there for 3 months from November to February last year and the apartment we stayed in, the walls went mouldy as did our clothes. We sat in the evenings with coats on. I couldn't believe how cold it was.
I'm lucky as I stay with Greek friends who have central heating. I think you'll find most of the larger hotels that stay open all year round have adequate heating.Although the outside temperature doesn't get as cold as here I agree that appartments that are really based on summer occupation could be freezing
I think the tour operators/airlines are missing a trick here.... it would be lovely to have a long weekend in Rhodes Town during the winter, after all you can do a package long weekend during the winter to Palma in Majorca, the Canaries, Marrakech etc etc and Rhodes Town is far nicer than any of those places :D
Many thanks to Anne, 'ThePeacockRocks' and 'Retsina' for your very interesting comments and responses.

It is interesting to learn how cold it actually gets in winter - one can imagine how windy it gets on the west coast (based on the wind in a summer on that side of the island).

I have to agree with Retsina - it would be a lovely idea to take a short winter break to Rhodes - especially for those of us who cannot get enough of the place!!

I am also interested in looking at old photos of Rhodes to see how the island has changed over the years and 'developed'. We first visited Rhodes in 1990 and some areas have changed quite a lot since then.

I have not been able to trace any such photos/websites however I have found a photo of how the beach at Lindos has changed since May 1982 on the http://www.lindoseye.com/pictures.htm web page. I have in the past also come across photos of Faliraki in the 1980's but have been unable to find this website again.

Does anyone remember the bar/swimming pool area when it was in full swing (in 1990) which is situated opposite the 1960's bar - just up the hill from the main taxi rank in Rhodes Town - diagonally across from the pizza/takeaway places which you can sit outside?? Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of it now. The area is now derelict and the old swimming pool has been filled in this year but it used to be a really lively area. The swimming pool had been left empty and un-guarded for more than 5 years.
I have spent a good few hours round that pool, swimming and sunning. The evening there was good too, Greek music and dancing with the fountains playing. It's a shame it's been left but hopefully they will either renovate it or do something to tidy up what is now an eyesore.
Hi,
If you log on to the Friends Of Pefkos website, they have photos on there and some are from 18 years ago.
Thanks for the replies to Anne and ThePeacockRocks. Apologies for not responding sooner.

As you say Anne the pool area mentioned was lovely and it is a shame that it hasn't been transformed yet into something else. Can you remember what it was called please?

I have logged on to the friends of pefkos site and found it very interesting - thanks for the tip.

We are off to Rhodes in late July 07 - already starting the countdown!! We are considering going to Monolithos and to actually climb up to the monastery (?) at the top. Has anyone been? Any tips or suggestions for other ideas in that area please?

On days when we are sightseeing we always enjoy a trip to Filerimos and a climb up the cross. We also like to spend a little time round the airport area at Kremasti watching the planes coming in and out.

This year we also had an enjoyable excursion to the bee museum. We also like the Ostrich Farm for an enjoyable couple of hours, likewise Epta Piges (Seven Springs).

One place that we have never found too interesting though is Rodini Park - it always seems rather barren to us.

Whilst we generally always stay in and around Rhodes town we generally hire a car to explore the island. Personally I really like Stegna Beach - I would love to have one of the small bars/cafes there on the seafront.

For days on the beach, for us, Tsambika really takes some beating - the sand is absolutely gorgeous there.

We also love a stroll around Afandou. Above Afandou village on one of the hills we have noticed what looks like a monument - does anyone know what it is please?

Other highlights for us about Rhodes, as well as the very friendly people is of course the lovely food - the Greek salads being always so fresh and tasty, and we also enjoy the local wines - especially Moulin and Illios and of course the ice cold Mythos. We also love strolling around Rhodes Old Town at night. Oh the memories!!

Any comments on the above would be very interesting.
Monolithos is really easy to reach as you can park pretty close by so it takes no climbing really.
I agree the views from Filerimos are great and i often take people up there.
Other good places for viewing are The Clock tower in Rhodes Town and Tsambika Monastery, way up above the beach (though you'll need plenty of lucozade down you for that climb!).
near monolithos there is a small beach called FOURNOI (OVENS).It very nice and small.before monolithos tere is another village called PROFILIA. there is one restaurant there and its absolutely perfect..ask to try after your meal , the grilled grape with honey..
Dont forget there are many unknown things in Rhodes to do during the winter.
Thanks for the reply Marcuschap - we will definitely give monolithos a try next summer.

We have also been up to the monastery at Tsambika - totally agree that the view is lovely from there, also from the clock tower in Rhodes town.
We love the beach at Tsambika and the sea is gorgeous there.

Thanks also to Makispol - we will have a look at Fournoi and Profilia next summer and give the grilled grape/honey a try.

We have not been to the Monolithos part of Rhodes much. How long will it take to get there by car from Faliraki (where we will be staying).

A couple of beaches/coves which we also like to visit are called Tassos Beach and Nicholas Beach - they are located between Faliraki and Kalithea. There is also a small beach called Vagia near Kolimbia which is nice.

I'd love to here more from you about the 'many unknown things' to do in Rhodes in Winter makispol!
you have to discover..anyway from faliraki it takes about 1hour and 15-30 minutes to go to fournoi. a nice small beach is also ''mavros kavos''. ''black foreland'' in english.agathi beach is very nice too.profitis ilias is a hotel to stay in winter. Its near the village emponas with big variety of steak restaurants.they are famous for the meat and wine they produce and sell
I dont understand why Rhodes isnt available as a winter holiday destination? We were there last Sept and even the Greek lady in our hotel says the same. It has a nice warm climate. Its not any colder than Majorca or Benidorm and they are readily available in the winter months.
Rhodes is a lovely island the people are welcoming and friendly. We visited Pefkos and loved it, would definitely return.
Thanks for the reply Gemma.

Totally agree - it would be lovely to have a break to Rhodes through the winter.

Where are your favourite places on the island?
Thanks again Makispol for the reply and the information.
I found some lovely pics of Fourni on the following web page http://www.igougo.com/travelcontent/Journal.aspx?journalid=44390
We will have to see it 'in the flesh' next summer.
Hi Rhodos As I say we loved Pefkos. Its Lovely. What I particularly liked was the mix of holiday makers. Young, old, couples families etc etc and everyone fitted in well. The restaurants are fabulous. We were spoiled for choice every night! We also had a day in Lindos. I liked Lindos as well, and it was very pretty but just a wee bit too busy for us. This year we tried Kos. In my opinion it wasnt a patch on Rhodes. Weather was also dreadful which surprised us too. We like to try all different places, but I would definitely return to Rhodes.
A bit off topic, but its only 47 sleeps til our next holiday in wonderful Goa. Merry Xmas and take care x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.