Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hello Ray,

Roda is a small and quite 'british' resort. The beach is clean and the sea gently shelving, making it ideal for those who don't like swimming out of their depth. There are plenty of sun beds and parasols for hire, it was 9 euros for 2 beds and a brolly last year, which I think is it quite expensive. However, Roda is cheap in other areas. I should imagine that the beach does get a bit crowded in peak season as it is quite narrow in places.

The night life is fairly gentle although the bars can get lively at times. There is a night club up at the crossroads on the main road between Sidari and Acharavi.

There is a decent selection of restaurants from very British places to a couple of nearly Greek places! My favourites were the Odysseus, where you get huge portions at cheap prices and good food to boot (try the meze for two, one night and I dare you to finish the whole meal!), the Dolphin on the beach front and right next door to that a place I cannot remember the name of but it is in the oldest building in Roda, so you would not miss it. The restaurants in Roda are very competitive and this keeps the prices a lot lower than in other resorts on the island. We have two children with large appetites and ate three courses with wine and soft drinks for around 40 euros last year, which I think is very cheap for four.

There is a regular local bus service into Corfu Town but the nicest way to get there is on a boat trip. It takes the same time. You can book through any of the agents in town but the one I recommend is at the corner of the triangle where the old town road meets the newer road to the beach. Lovely Greek ladies who speak perfect English and cannot do enough for you. They are the cheapest too! We would not recommend any trip with Cap'n George on his boat.

For 8 euros you can get a taxi to Kassiopi, 15 minutes away. I recommend Kassiopi, it is our favourite place on Corfu, a really delighful place. In the opposite direction is Sidari. We got a taxi there, walked around for 10 minutes and got a taxi back out again as quickly as possible.

You can walk along the sea fron down to Acharavi for a change of scene. There are also various walks around the local countryside. Ask at the travel agents for details. You can go horse riding or hire a private motor boat for the day.

It is a pretty laid back place and the locals are very friendly. For good greek style political conversation and the best sandwiches in town at lunch time, try the Corner on the sea front, just along from the Dolphin going towards the Big Ben pub. They do nice giros and pizza too.

My children love the place although as adults we prefer Kassiopi. Havea good trip.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.