Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I have tried unsuccessfully to discover where your ship will dock, because Rouen has quite a complicated system of docks and commercial traffic. I have sent an email to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry asking what I hope are reasonable questions, and when I have a reply, I'll pass it on to you.

For trains, Rouen has a new SNCF station. To get train details, you could look at http://www.deutschebahn.de which I KNOW is a German site. Unfortunately SNCF has a very inconsistent website, and only shows some trains ... rather random ... on different routes. Get your details at this site, and buy your tickets either in advance with Rail Europe or at the station before you travel. However, be aware that Rouen is prime commuter belt territory for Paris, so you may have a wait in the ticket queue. You may also find that you have to pay supplements for peak hour travel.

Although £71 does seem a lot, it might be much less hassle, you will get to see plenty of things, maybe even with a meal included??, and be sure of getting back to the ship in time for sailaway .... Wait till you see the SNCF prices before deciding! You can try to get prices once you know which train times you want by looking at http://www.sncf.fr but be aware that this site can freeze or raise your blood pressure or both!!
The Chamber of Commerce and Industry kindly sent my request on to the Tourist Office.

I received the following reply .... which I have taken the liberty of translating into English.

The cruise ship will normally berth at the Cruise Terminal Quay situated on the Quai Emil Duchemin. This is 3.5 km from the railway station and we recommend you call a taxi to take you there. They recommend you telephone Radio Taxis 02 35 88 50 50 for a taxi.

This company has a website http://www.radiotaxirouen.com which I have already checked out for you. It is in English, you can book ahead, and they are open 24 hours a day including Sundays and Bank Holidays.

I am also appreciative that the Tourist Office bothered to reply to me today - 14 July, Bastille Day, French National Day - when usually everything is shut!!
Thank you very much for this info, I really appreciate the lenghts you have gone to obtain it.

The Fred Olsen price does not include lunch, also the ship stays at Rouen for two nights so getting back late would not be such a problem. I just hope that the French railway workers don't decide to go on strike while we are there.
Many thanks for going the extra mile Alsacienne. It really is appreciated. :tup
luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.