Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Anything with Banyan in it's name is too expensive for us... :cry: but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
We are on the 00:15 flight on the morning of the 14th Oct. I hear many people actually miss this flight as they turn up in the evening instead of the night before... can you believe that!! :shock:
Looking forward to getting back to Phuket. Cheers Gerry.
Hi maryjo
We stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in May, its a lovely hotel. Great location right on the river. The river taxi is literally a minute away which will take you to the BTS skytrain main stop (takes minutes) or go in the opposite direction to get to the Grand Palace. Wish I was going with you.
Any questions about the hotel, just ask.
hi prada, thanks for the info. Would you recommend going for the high floor rooms or do the lower floor ones get good views of the river too? As we are only there for 2 nights we want to pack in as much as we can. You said the Palace is in the opposite direction? do you get to it from the river or do you use the skytrain? Any other places for sightseeing near the hotel? We are hoping to do some shopping too. Any recommendations where best to go? How about restaurants in the hotel. Which would you recommend? We are booked for bed and breakfast. Are the breakfasts buffet style, if so, was there lots to choose from? Sorry for all these questions! Hope you don't mind! Thanks, Maryjo
Hi maryjo
You dont really need to book a high floor, we had a room on the 16th floor which had fantastic views of the river. Breakfast in the hotel was excellent, we got it free as part of our booking so dont know what the price was but the variety was superb and service faultless. We only ate once in the hotel in the evening and found it pretty expensive but then it is a five star so its only to be expected really. The food is actually reasonably priced but the drinks are very expensive.
We went over the river one night to the Yok Yor Restaurant but I wouldnt really recommend that as the portions were VERY small and again the drinks very expensive.
On our second night we went to the Suanlum night bazaar (get a taxi from the Sheraton - only cost £1) which we really enjoyed. We had our children with us so we stayed away from Patpong. Suanlum bazaar had a large food area (mostly fast food european and Thai) in front of a large stage with live acts singing. Great atmosphere and very good prices for food and drinks.
As regards the river taxis - to get to the Grand Palace you dont need the skytrain, just get the river taxi for about 5 stops and then you walk the rest of the way (just follow the crowds). Dont worry about knowing where to get off, a guide on the boat announces all the stations. A word of warning, when you get to the Palace you will be approached by people telling you its shut today - take no notice - its ALWAYS open, they just want to get you in a tuk tuk and take you somewhere else! All part of the fun I suppose! Just say thanks and keep walking.
The concierges in the Sheraton are excellent and will help you with directions or any problems. I lost my contact lens solution ( disaster!) and asked the concierges for their help. They directed me to MBK shopping mall (again only about a £1 in a taxi) where there were shops and bargains galore (including lens solution at a third of UK prices). My daughter and I bought some fantastic bargains there, so thats worth a visit if you like shopping.
We were only there for 3 nights but packed so much into it, we loved it and will be returning.
One last thing, the pools at the Sheraton are lovely. Big comfy wooden sun loungers and massive fluffy towels.
Have fun!
Just ask if you have any more questions
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.