America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
SF to Yosemite is approximately 3 hours drive. I have stayed in a couple of different locations, both close to Yosemite. Mariposa is close and so is Oakhurst, and both have lodging. I believe Oakhurst is the larger of the two towns but I won't swear to it. It's also a little further from SF than Mariposa is. I forget where I stayed in Mariposa but I stayed in...I think...a Days Inn or Comfort Inn in Oakhurst. It's fairly cheap chain of hotels so you usually get what you pay for, but this was one was actually pretty good. It even had a sauna and a steam room, which we made full use of!

As I say, Oakhurst is a little further from SF. I recommend you go to Expedia or Orbitz and do a search for hotels in the area.
Many thanks for that. Anywhere else you would recommend as a worth a visit in the North? We have been before and stayed a couple of times with wife's Godmother in Petaluma (nice town still very 50s America like) but apart from Tahoe, Sacramento and San Fran itself not really ventured very far.
Have been to LA but couldn't stand anything about it
I do live near LA but I'll try not to take offense. LA is very much a working city. People expect it to be glamorous with a celebrity round every corner but isn't like that all. It has some okay places but, on the whole, it's a fairly grotty city like London. London has nice parts too but a lot of areas you wouldn't dare venture after dark. Each to their own, of course. Some people on this site think Vegas is the best thing since sliced bread but it's never done much for me. It was nice and all but there was nothing to make me want to rush back, even though it's comfortably within driving distance.

Anyhow, regarding LA, what about other cities in the LA area? I'm talking about steering clear of LA itself (which, like you, I don't particularly care for) but there are a LOT of nice cities in LA county and Orange county. Of course, you said you would be in the North...so I'm not sure why you mentioned LA...unless the possibility existed of coming down this way.

San Jose has some interesting attractions, namely the Great Mall, Paramount's Great America (if you like theme parks), and the Winchester Mystery House.

Santa Cruz is an interesting city, though it leans so far to the left I'm surprised it's still standing. It has a lot of homeless people but does have a nice boardwalk with various attractions.

Of course, there is the Monterey area, and I do recommend visiting the trio of Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur.

What about Napa? Just north of San Francisco and always worth a visit, even if you aren't a wine drinker. You can drive further north still and check out the redwood trees.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can always go across the Sierra Nevada mountains into Reno. It's possible you have already done that since you mentioned Tahoe, which isn't too far from Reno.

I'm not sure what else... I guess you'll have to get a guide book and find some interesting places in Northern California. I have lived in the Monterey area so I have some knowledge of the area but that's no substitute for a good guide book.
Whoops didn't wanna offend you :oops: To even it up I live in London and can't stand that either!

Thanks again
I wasn't offended. Like I said, I wouldn't particularly want to live in downtown LA. I am fortunate enough to live about 40 miles away in a much nicer area!
hi there.we went to yosemite about 3 yrs ago...stayed at evergreen lodge
for 2 nights...its about 8 miles into the forest but just outside the park
they have a selection of log cabins,a superb place..check out their website
you can book online but only in california time ie from about 5pm uk time
cheers
Cheers for that sounds like type of place we want.
We stayed in the Winona lodge in Yosemite - very oldy worldy, made of all wood like the old western buildings, it was lovely.

TC
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.