Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
SANTANDER
10 Posts
I regret I haven't been to Santander myself, but I have heard that it is worth the visit. It's supposed to be a pleasant town with a commercial port, and there are beaches nearby which are good for a swim. If you were to put Santander Tourist Office into a search engine I'm sure you'd get a lot of help.

Inland from Santander are mountains and the town of Santillana de Mar (because it USED to be at the seaside!) is supposed to be worth a visit.

You might be able to use trains - and I'd particularly recommend visiting BILBAO for the new-ish Guggenheim museum.

At least this area is pretty lager lout free and you should be able to enjoy Real Spain ... though you might need a raincoat as this is the area of Spain that gets the most rainfall!
Thanks for the info. Just booking accommodation now - it's so much cheaper to get an apartment. Now all I need to do is hire a car - do you know whether it's cheaper/ better to book it now from London or when I get there? I got a quote from Eurocar for £76 for 4 days, but I think I might be able to barter it down if I call them...

Can't wait to get out there, I'm dying for a break!

Jaida x
You could always try Holiday Autos whom I've used in the UK - they are brokers but do use reputable firms. I don't think that bartering/bargaining really works for pre-booked car hire ...... not that I've dared try!
Oh I've done it loads of times, and they always budge. Try it next time, the worse they can say is 'no'. :)
Jx
i went to santander a good few years ago and it is really nice so traditioanl you will really enjoy it, i stayed in a hostel so cant comment on accomodation

We visited the basque area too and that was not that far away this you will really enjoy too
i am going to santander for a couple of days in may can anyone tell me how much things are like food drink and fags
cheers
can anyone tell me where there is an official tobacca shop that sells english cigs and bacca in santader? cheers
public transport is good and cheap head for the little seaside towns and villages . if you do hire a car stay away from the larger towns as parking is almost non existent. . cigs are available from several tabacs but they will only sell you 1000 at atime price is standard throughout spain.
futher afield bilbao ,san sebastian, burgos, and asturius are all worth
a visit . hope this helps.
So fed up with airports thought we'd we'd try sailing somewhere instead. Fancied Santander (from Plymouth) but looking for apartment for 2 weeks near the beach area in Sept. I've spent hours on the net but getting more confused. Has ANYONE been there and can give me some advice? Would be so grateful.

Katy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.