Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi,

We were on the Celebration May 15th - 29th and went to Santorini on the first week - no problems at all.

Gretchen
Made it on the 14th July but did have winds upto 40 knots during the day. We left early because the winds were picking up in the late afternoon.
Different ships act in different ways. I think you needs to accept the captain's judgement on this as he knows the ship better than anyone.
I completely agree that the Captain knows best - but also wondered, as the port insists the ships use the port tender boats if preference would be given to the big cruise ships??
My niece is on the Celebration - really looking forward to Santorini but I heard last night that they are not going in today - really don't know what is happening but they are very disappointed

Gretchen
Doesn't look like its mad there many times this year. Especially as its one of the most spectacular ports.
I also remember reading that some Greek port are refusing ships unless they have ( I think) 30% Greek staff
Could this be a reason?
My friend has just got back from a Celebration Cruise and they couldnt dock at Santorini due to rough seas.
Some people were very disappointed but they were taken to Samos instead.
If they can't dock on so many occasions surely Santorini should be taken off the itinerary. A one off because of weather can';t be helped, but it seems to be happening fairly consistently.
We didnt make it either (early august), and we were told that they hadn't made it two weeks before also! We were taken to samos which was lovely, but for me Santorini was to be the highlight of the trip :(

I agree that it should be taken off the itinerary, because if it is failing 50% of the time it's clearly not due to extreme conditions on the day.....its just not a suitable tender destination.
We made it last week on the Calypso but i wished we had'nt three Costa ships in and four others lots of fighting for the lift and could not see the town the rest of the cruise was great

Roger
Was there last week only one other Ship in Port no problems with cable car wait about 5 minutes and we tendered from the Solstice. We had priority tendering but by the time we came off there was no need just straight on and off and the same on return trip. Still one of my favourite Ports. Since last year there are some changes with a new walkway prior to going up in the chair lift. Duty free etc Lovely hand made glass in Greece and whilst I bought one up in the town it was much cheaper with a 30% discount. Also Murano glass and other very lovely pottery with 20-30% discount price marked on and then 30% discount.

Bought 2 much larger pieces for 18 Euro and I paid 12 for a smaller one in Fira. If you are want to buy anything suggest you have a look here as prices duty free etc also cheaper.

Sue

Sue
We are going in two weeks time hope we make it we are going with RCI
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.