Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
santorini
8 Posts
We stayed in Firostefani last year and would stay in the same location if we visit again. There are many cave apartments on this side of the island. The beaches are on the other side, and they're coarse black sand. I dont think the beaches are attractive and wouldn't go to Santorini if beaches were a priority.
Have to agree with rdv, Santorini & nice beaches don't work in the same sentence. Fira, Firostefani, Imeriovigli & Oia are all on the caldera edge & it's all about the views. The east side has the main resorts of Kamari & Perissa, but the beaches are volcanic grit, black & they get very hot underfoot. If golden sandy beaches are for you then I would look elsewhere. Maybe combine another island with a few days on Santorini for the experience of somewhere unique (but expensive)?
Santorini really lived up to its reputation and we spent quite a bit of time on our balcony. The view over the caldera is magic and the cruise boats look like little toys from the top of the rim. We like beaches too so as Athens fan suggests we moved on to Naxos and then Paros. Both of these islands have great beaches and the ferry connections are frequent and modern. We stayed in the Nomikos Villas which are in a good location with friendly staff and for Santorini we thought the price was reasonable.
I like the look of the Antithesis apartments in Fira but I'm not sure if you can book them through a tour operator which I prefer to do. The views look amazing and the terraces look large. :) and they are close to shops etc.
Extremely unlikely through a tour operator, most of their accommodation is on the cheaper side at Perissa & Kamari. The caldera view properties don't need tour operators, they get booked up anyway as the view is the main reason many people go, as well as it being a popular honeymoon choice.
Doing it independently is really easy if you are set on this place. It also gives you the freedom of combining a few nights here with a beach choice too. Plenty of help available if you do want to book independently. I have just come back from a Peloponnese road trip, & apart from our first accommodation booked it was a case of find somewhere as we went along!
Many people love Santorini & are happy to spend their time on the balcony looking at the caldera, but that becomes too boring for some after the novelty wears off. The time of year can have a bearing on this as a choice to, it can be very windy at times.
ah Thank you yeah never booked independtly before am definately going to consider it. Do you know if there is plenty of nightlife bars etc and restaurants? :)

Will have to try and cost it up and see how expensive it would be booking independtly.
I've been five times to Santorini. Three times in Kamari (hotel boat house) with a nice beach and two times in Oia at the cave apartments Chelidonia Villas, with an amazing view over the caldera, one of the best places in the world (and I've seen a lot). Two supermarkes and a bakery are only 5 minutes walk away. But it is expensive. But unforgetable. But it is on the caldera, not at a beach..
In Kamari you have along beach, really good restaurants and bars, nightlife but not too much.. You can visit Fira and Oia for a day trip.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.