Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Scotland
9 Posts
Auchenlarie is a good site, ( INVALID URL or try Brandedleys
( http://www.holgates.com/Brandedleys/brandedleys_main.htm)
Both highly recommended, and nicely placed for touring around the area.
Being born & bred in D&G, if you need any help, just ask. :)
try sottishcamping.co.uk
To find the best sites in Scotland, go to Rosyth, get on a ferry and stay on the Continent.

(I'm in Glasgow so can get away with that)

Don't know of any D&G campsites, although there is a large sight just off the main A75 which is meant to be good.

On the other side of the Country there is Seton Sands or further north try Tummel Valley just beyond Pitlochry.
If you want to venture as far as the north east of scotland, there is a good site at Nairn (Moray coast). It has a pool, is right next to the beach - just over the dunes - and on the edge of the town of Nairn itself. Nairn has restaurants and supermarkets. Also not far from Inverness.
I have visited Tummel Valley and its really nice.Very central for touring as well
Went to 'Southerness', a 'Parkdean' camp in D&G in Aug 2005, camp was large enough but catering facilities were woefully inadequate for of a camp that size but a few pubs just outside the camp had decent food. (I think the camp thought most people would do their own cooking in the'vans) maybe they do & we're just lazy!!!

Never tried the pool as we had decent weather all week, local beach which is on the edge of the camp-site is a bit over-run with shells, making not so fun for the kids to run around on, but turn left out of the camp & a few miles down the road there is a fantastic beach, (can't remember the name), also has a campsite attached so this may suit you better, but looked a bit quiet at night for us.
Hi i would recommend Brighouse Bay good location swimming pool, golf,pub/restaurant etc

About 6 miles from Kirkcudbright
14 miles from Castle Douglas & Dalbeattie.

Web site

http://www.gillespie-leisure.co.uk

They have one or two sites around D&G

Would not recommend southerness
or auchenlarie
hi, went to glen nevis campsite last july. set at the foot of ben nevis its a fantastic and clen site. unfortunately no pool yet but plenty of thing to do locally including mountain walking, cable car rides, river walks/paddling, sports centre nearby in fort william if swimming needed. site is about half a mile out of fort william so handy for shops,transport and tourist info etc.
it was a spotlessly clean site, well maintained with first class shower/toilet facs. a little bit pricey but i would definately go back if not just for the fantastic scenery - waking up each morning and looking out of the tent up to one of this countries most pleasurable views of ben nevis.
just a little thought although a bit further north than d&g :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.