Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi
If you have the chance forget samui for diving and go to Ko Tao. You will probably be taken there anyway for the actual diving and do the theory in Samui. The diving, and snorkelling, in ko tao is fantastic. It is also much more laid back and less developed then samui.
The whole open water course takes 4 days of which maybe half is theory.
Hope this helps.
Hi. We're just back from 2 weeks on Koh Samui and went Scuba Diving for the first time ! (Still can't believe I did it !) I was so nervous but my hubby took to it like a fish to water! We didn't do the courses but our instructor did say you can do all the theory in England so that you don't waste time on your holiday doing it.. We scuba-dived with the Dive Academy on Bophut Beach at the Bandara Resort. It's run by a lovely girl called Tasha from Kent. She was excellent , especially knowing it was our first time and I was quite nervous about it ! We had a free Try Dive in the swimming pool the day before and then went out on a day trip across to Mango Bay and Twin Island which included lunch on Koh Tao..It cost 11000 Bahts which I think is about £165 for both of us.
Nicramzi
so glad you enjoyed KS. You need to start a new thread to tell us more :D
really pleased to read this report - i've now done my theory and swimming pool sessions in england, and have been emailing dive academy to complete my padi licence (need to do 4 open water dives). So great to know they were good. How did you find the boat journey to the dive site? I've not done much travel by sea at all and am wondering whether sea sickness may be an issue? If so i will take a pill just in case....

anything else to report on your holiday? we're off in 10 days, staying in bophut, VERY excited!

ta for any up to date news
caroline
Koh Tao is fantastic especially for scuba but just snorkelling is amazing just off shark island.If you're doing your diving in Koh Tao you'll probably do your 18 metre dives at white rocks
Hi Poolsblue !
You lucky thing going in a few days ! I'm so envious! :bawl
The boat trip out to Mango Bay where we did the first dive was about an hour and a half by speed boat - I found it was ok, although I did take a tablet on the way over but coming back I didn't bother and was fine.. I would take one just to be on the safe side - it wont hurt..
Say hi to Tasha from us ! I'm sure she'll remember us - I was so worried about doing it and nearly didn't go - but she managed to persuade me in the end !
Have a fabulous time and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. Where are you staying by the way ? If there's anything else you want to know just ask !
Enjoy ! :lol:
staying at the waterfront. hearing excellent reports from recent visitors.
excitement levels are rising
fingers crossed for calm weather, i believe its been a bit changeable recently on KS.
Starting off 4 days in bangkok sofitel silom, sure to be a brill few days with hubbie and 17/19 year olds. never been over to this bit of the world before

did you take any trips out when in KS? What were the best things to do?

thanks for replying
caroline
hop onto a songtaew( converted pick up truck which is a sort of local bus service. They stop for everyone along the way. We took one to Nathon and had a wander around there. Lots of local shops and an indoor market worth visiting. To be honest, the journey there is worth it in itself. The locals always seem to have a smile for you. We use KS as a chill out time. We did an island tour which is worth doing. :D
The Samui Online magazine is very useful for info.
Hi Caroline!
We were really lucky with the weather - apparently they'd had bad rain a couple of weeks before we went, but while we were there we hardly expereinced any. We had a couple of evenings where it rained and once in the afternoon for about half an hour..It soon clears up though and its warm rain too ! We had a few overcast days but I actually prefer it like that as the sun can get really hot and searing.
We didn't do any organised trips - we hired a jeep for 2 days which cost us £15 per day inc. insurance, and were able to drive around the island and stop off at all the sights at our leisure. We saw the Numuang (spelling!?) Waterfall, went on an Elephant Trek, saw the Grandma and Grandpa Rocks! and watched the sunset at Big Buddha. We also drove up into the Mountains and came across a restaurant right off the beaten track called Green Valley View (I think!) and it had the most spectacular views of Koh Samui. We had a drink and something small to eat there and it came to a fiver ! We tried to find 'The Best Mountain View Point' that's advertised but couldn't find it for trying ! but this one we found was well worth it...
We also hired a bike for 4 days (£3 per day!) so we could get around a bit easier in the evenings. We were staying in Bophut so it meant we could go into Chaweng if we felt like it....and pop to the shops etc.
We'd never been to this side of the world before either and we just fell in love with it and can't wait to return! - Nicola x
where about were you staying in Bophut?
Is the beach still quiet? Its been a couple of years since we've been and there seems to have been a lot of building. Were there many bars in Fishermans Village? It was mainly restaurants for us but there were a few lively bars.
We stayed at The Bandara Resort and Spa in a Cottage Villa - it was fabulous and we couldnt fault the hotel. I've done a report on the hotel and also filled in the resort section but that doesn't seem to show up anywhere ! :roll: Anyway, in answer to your questions! ....the hotel was actually very quiet so the beach wasn't busy at all - but we did go at a quiet time of year (May). We spent most of our time by the pool anway, which again was very quiet. We enjoyed going into Fishermans Village a few times for dinner and there weren't a huge amount of noisy bars which we liked !
There was a fair amount of building work going on aroud the island but it didn't interfere with us at all and I suppose because we've never been before it wasn't such a surpise to us..
glad to hear that Bophut hasn't changed too much :D
Re your resort report
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/thailand/koh-samui/bo-phut/bandara-resort-and-spa/&%20Spa%20/
If you click on Koh Samui( which is in blue) it will take you to the resort review :D
Great ! Thanks Fiona ! I'm still fairly new to this website ! :wink:
don't worry- I have to admit that resort reports are difficult to find if they do not have an established section here
just to finish off the thread, eventually completed my PADI with Easy Divers, they've a few shops around KS. They were really lovely, Great english speaking mostly european diving instructors, great diving.

was lucky enough to see a 5m whale shark on my first dive out at Shark Island, Koh Tau. Doesnt get much better than that!
all in all, a great holiday !
caroline
Great ! Glad you enjoyed it ! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.