Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Sea Tides
4 Posts
Either:

1. Not quite as much water in the Aegean as the Atlantic to tip over OR
2. The Gods on Olympus preferred Greece to Blackpool.

Possibly both.
The Gods on Olympus preferred Greece to Blackpool.

well they are not silly are they.... to be serious unless the beach is steep then the tides in the med and adjoining waters don't suffer such dramatic tide differences as the UK

wizard
Hi Bunny....

The main reason for no (or very small tidal changes) is that the Mediterranean sea is almost cut off from the worlds other oceans and so does not feel the effect of the Moon and sun like other places around the world. The water is not able to "slop" around from one continent to another so to speak..

You do get very high storm surges though around the Med and this i have experienced and can be as high as a metre or more. And as a lot of resorts have businesses very close or even on the beaches they suffer damage in the closed winter period and normally everything is fixed up, repaired and polished by the time the tourist season starts so we never see it normally and rarely if there's a late storm in early May.

Paul.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.