Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Nessabella & welcome to HT.

We always stay at the hilton in sharks bay and naama bay is about 15 mins in a taxi or usually the hotels will provide a courtesy bus several times a day . There may be a small charge per person and sometimes it works out cheaper to get a cab but you should agree a price before you get in . should be around £5/6 but if your bartering skills are not the best maybe £10 max.

It really depends what you like as a couple . I can't say we particularly like NB .One visit was enough for us but there are plenty of bars and a few clubs . Pasha , hardrock after midnight being the normal haunts . We have teenage lads and they used to go on an organised trip to the clubs that the hilton entertainment team put together . Most nights there would be a visit somewhere available and they usually charged £20 for the entrance, a couple of drinks and the transport and they would return around 4am after leaving the hotel around midnight. I should imagine the better hotels outside of NB would do something similar if that appeals .

Sharks bay does have soho square where there is a club, ice rink & bowling I think some shops/bars/restaurants
so there is somewhere to stroll to but it is new and won't have the same atmosphere to NB.(Neon bright lights , zillions of shops & their associated hassle but good shisha pipes,although you get them in all hotels too ), soho square seems to be advertised now in all the inflight magazines so it may be getting more visitors now .

My vote goes to sharks bay because the Red sea is of much better quality here , snorkelling is excellent if that's your thing. Wasnt keen when we stayed in NB but then we arn't as young as you and our holiday needs may be much different.

lyn
Welcome to HT Nessabella :wave:

Good info from Lynne, can you tell us a little more about your likes and dislikes when on holiday? this will help narrow the decision down a bit.

I am a bit more mature (maybe not mentally) however I still like Naama Bay as there is plenty going on and has a bit of a buzz about it yet if you choose a nice hotel you can have a haven of tranquility.

Anyway if you can give us a bit more info we can help you make a decision :tup

Graham
Aw thanks for getting back to me so quick.

I have picked Egypt thinking it would be a nice change from all the usual hussle & bussle you get in Spain/Greece etc but I dont want to find myself getting bored. I was in Goa for a family holiday last year, loved it but it was a tad on the quiet side.

The four of us would be happy enough sitting by the pool or down the beach all day topping up our tans but when it comes to night... 10pm bedtime everynite doesnt sound that appealing. Not that Im looking for mad crazy nightlife but some places we could all go for a good few drinks & have a good giggle.

Whats the prices like one you leave your hotel? We are planning to go all inclusive so as I said it would only be once the bar shuts at the hotel that we would venture out a few nights

Nessabella
Hmm..I think for you being younger, I am inclined to agree with what Lyn has said. Naama bay would be better for you if you like to visit the bars etc and don't want to die of boredom (not that Sharks Bay is boring..it is just not as lively as NB imho)

Our kids prefer NB so they can do the visits to Pasha, Hard Rock etc..whilst I prefer visiting places like the Camel Bar. (they are 18 and 21)
Yeh Im leaning towards Namma Bay now - can anyone tell any decent hotels in NB? Iv read the Sonesta Club hotel is pretty decent for the price but dunno if thats still a wee taxi journey away from it all ?
Hi

There are many hotels available, take a look at this map for their location http://www.sharmelsheikhrealestate.com/areas/naama-bay there are other maps available here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=142889

There is also a good list of hotels here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=147144

The Sonesta Club is very good and is a bit cheaper than the Sonesta Beach, the Sonesta Club is located on the main Peace Rd within easy walking distance of the main area of Naama so no need for taxis, guests of the Sonesta Club can use the beach at the Sonesta Beach hotel over the road.

Here are some photos of the Sonesta Club that will give you some idea of what it looks like http://travel.webshots.com/album/562327695PjcSAV?vhost=travel

If you find any other hotels that are within your budget and want more info just ask us :tup
Graham
I've stayed at the sonesta and you can walk .Can't remember and we were just strolling and stopping along the way but maybe 20 mins . If you want to get to the other side of NB it may be better to get a cab .I'm not very familiar where the popular places are in NB but Im sure the hard rock is the other end .

The quality of the sonesta is very good , as was the food (although I was flat on my back in bed with Pharoahs revenge for 2 days) but there was little going on there of an evening . We had the same guy on a saxaphone every night that sent me to sleep .My younger son was actually asleep with his head on the table every night or a show for kiddies and some audience participation stuff at one of the bars with white plastic chairs all in row . My lads were bored out of their brains there . TBH no hotel in Egypt is particularly lively of an evening but we have had lot's better . The sonesta clearly has position to NB on it's side which is probably why it is so quiet there of an evening . I'm sure many guests go out and about and i think if you need to be close to some nightlife past 11pm it would be better to base yourselves there .

I think the sonesta is the only A/I there although some others may offer A/I at a supplement There is the sonesta beach and the sonesta club (although that doesnt get as good reviews). Hotels outside of NB will all be A/I .

lyn
If you have young kids i would go for the sonesta club. It has a few good water slides and lots of activities. You would have to walk at least 10 mins to get to the beach, where as sonesta beach its nearer. When we go and i have been 8 times, have never stayed in the complex at night. That thought for us is sheer boedom, we go out have drinkie poos down the promenade at the hilton in a bar called the pirates bar, also good if you like footie. Along the prom there is varied entertainment from belly dancers, caberet artists and egyptian shows. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but whilst in their country we do as the egyptians do, except walk like one ! There are lots of places to relax in naama bay and people watch, plenty of cheapish restaurants, supermarkets and shops. For night life beyond a few drinks is hard rock dancing after 11 oclock, pasha night club which is very nice but dear to get in, also the camel bar which has a roof top bar and on several levels. Anywhere in nb you can be as quiet or as busy as you want knowing you have a very quiet hotel in the evening to back to.

Sbr can be on b and b if you email the hotel , others also along the prom are hilton, marriott, jolie-ville, ghazela, sofitel etc all beach front except mountain view. I know sc and sbr if you need to ask any more.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.