Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
sharm holiday
8 Posts
Hi Mick

Dont know if you have been before, but Sharm is about 40kms of hotels that kind of sprawl along the coastline of the Red Sea.

There are four main hubs.

Nabq Bay which is mainy AI hotels that run along either the stretch of beach, & often have a sister hotel that is slightly cheaper and runs accross the roadside but gets use of the beach. Hotels up there are Holiday Village (bit child orientated for you), Coral Sea Resort, Laguna Vista Beach, Laguna Vista Gardens, Tropicana, Oriental resort, Jaz Mirabel Beach, Jaz Mirabel Park. It's a long way from Namma Bay, but there are a couple of malls up there if you get bored, there are banks, ATM's etc.

Sharks Bay where you have the Hilton, Concord, Sunrise Island View, the Savoy. The 1st 3 have sister hotels - HSB deluxe, Concord beach & sports side, Sunrise has, Sunrise Island gardens. The beaches are cut into the rock side and you tend to enter the sea from jetties - good snorkelling. You have access to Soho Square, which is a nice road of shops and a few restaurants.

Namma Bay is the main resort area, there are lots of 5* (maybe 4* in reality) hotels, Hilton, Maritim Jollie Ville, Gazala Beach, Sofitel, Sonesta Beach, Novotel, they all have sections of the beach in Namma Bay. Its busy and buzzy, some love it & some find it a bit 'in your face'. Many restaurants, Egyptian & International & many shisha cafes & bars, plus bazars, lots of hassle. Maybe a good place to go BnB. Reef a bit overused.

The other place is Ras um Sid/Habada down there you have Hilton Waterfalls, Rennaisance Golden View, Iberotel Club Fanara, Reef Oasis etc Good Snorkelling, most beaches cut into the cliff side again. Public Beach at El Fanar, 10 mins to NB & about 5 mins to Old Market in cabs. Hotels in the area are mixed between AI/BnB/HB.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Hope that helps a bit. Good Luck.

Doe :sun2
cheers for the reply Doe im now thinking about sharks bay and the Hilton any tips would help and no ive never been there before

All the best

Mick
Hi Mick :)

I have only been once and we had a really nice time, it was just me and my hubbie. I will do a link to my review (bit long and maybe boring :oops: ).

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/egypt/sinai-penninsula-and-red-sea/sharm-el-sheikh/hilton-sharks-bay-resort/

You probably need to read some of Lyn's posts as she has been three or four times & taken family there as well, her username is Lynwestie and she is much more familiar with HSB than I am. If you scroll down from mine there is a comprehensive review from her from 04/10, I dont think she did one last year.

It's actually in White Knights Bay not Sharks Bay thats my mistake above, it's a similar sort of area. The only thing I cant give a really good view on is the evening food as it was only us & no kids we ate out most nights for a change of scene as we stayed down by the beach area most days apart from once or twice when we went to the pool on the deluxe side - I think the rooms are slightly better in deluxe but you are a long way from the beach sunbathing terraces, and our room in the 'old' side was fine.

The breakfasts were great, we only ate lunch 3 days as we weren't hungry. Just had two evening meals & unfortunately the first evening we went it wasn't to our taste, we went on the 4th evening though and it was fine.

Let me know if they are any specifics and I will try my best.

My ears are burning :D

Hi Mick .. Yes been to the Hilton 4 times now and for us it ticks most boxes. The staff are lovely and there is a high persentage of repeat guests , the standard of A/I is pretty good and they do a better job than many at keeping guests entertained if you wish. You can find livelier or quieter areas depending on what you prefer .

The main appeal for us and the reason we return other than the Dive centre is the relaxed and happy atmosphere . The staff all seem to be happy in their work there and this in turn Rubs off on the guests ..

I wouldnt say the food is the best .. mainly because like much of egypt it can be a bit bland. You shouldnt go hungry and im confident you will always find something you enjoy . We havnt spent much time over in what is known as the new side but the old side restaurant has a nice feel . In that I mean it doesnt feel too canteen like ..

Again as chris has said .. If you have any specifics areas or questions I'll do my best to answer for you

ps .. forgot .. HSB has its own topic here . you may want to read through some of the more recent pages as It probably goes back over a few years now http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=72162&hilit=hilton+sharks+bay&start=340

lyn
Thank you both for the helpful replies however I seem to have booked the other Hilton in my old aged haze. ive booked Hilton Sharm Waterfalls Resort

please say its loveerly and SWMBO will love it

All the best
mick
:rofl :rofl

That is the kind of thing I might do. Not stayed there but stayed in the Rennaisance Golden View Beach Resort which is the hotel next door which was lovely and I beleive they are both of a very similar standard.

The only thing at that end of Sharm (ras um el sid) is that tha hotels are set on land that slopes down towards the sea, the fronts of the hotels which are at the road side are at one level and then to get down to sea/beach level you will gradually go down various sets of steps, but coming across other pools and room blocks on the way.

I beleive the Waterfalls has a kind of mini lift, so if you are in one of the rooms at the top (road end) of the hotel you could get to go down to the beach on it. Alternatively you will be doing a bit of walking, but no doubt the food will be lovely so you should be able to walk it off.

It's about 10 mins in a Cab to Namma Bay (bit of hassle, ignore them, don't both making eg contact if you don't want to buy anything, most of it is imported from China !) if you fancy a change of scene one night.

The Rennaisance had its own cabs, which were better than the 'blue & whites' that you hail yourself and I imagine the Waterfalls is the same. I think they are considered to be two of the better hotels in Sharm, original 5*'s. The Wateralls used to be more expensive than the Hilton Sharks Bay, but I think due to lack of visitor numbers has had to come up with more realistic pricing and offer AI.

I hope you have a lovely time, I think it will be fine, if you like Sharm you can go to the Hilton Sharks Bay next time.

That you very much for the replies and setting my mind at rest

looking forward to having a good time doing sod all

All i have to do now is lose 4 stone by may and tell the wife what ive done

All the best
Mick
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.