Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
SHARM V GOA
12 Posts
Have been to Egypt overall 9 times, 8 times to the same hotel.

I cannot compare goa to egypt as never been, but food and drink is very very good and relatively reasonable. I do not think it will for one minute be as cheap as Goa, but still a good price compared to other countries, especially with the euro at large.

You will only need a visa if visiting Luxor/ cairo or going out of the Sinai. If you want to make the most of your trip whilst there, i would definitely visit one or two of the famous sites.

I can only speak of Sharm, it is a multi purpose built tourist area, has anything and everything, for most cultural sights you will need to spread your wings and go to Cairo or Luxor. It takes an internal one hour flight from Sharm to any of those, so very quick.

Weather can be iffy, but warm and certainly sea weather, the coral cannot go below a certain temperature. Nights will require a light jacket/ cardigan. It can have a bit of rain, but blink and you will miss it. Christmas day people are on the beach, the only snag is the sun goes down early and its dark around 4pm ish.

There are some lovely hotels where ever you go in Egypt and you may find it cheaper to go A1 as opposed to bb or hb.

Hope this helps a little.

Michelle x
Hi Michelle, that's kind of you! Want just to try a week to get feel for place and Holidaying in January sun is what i enjoy!
Kevin x
Never been to Sharm but have been to Goa and can only compare to an overnight and full day in Hurghada and lots of time spent in Luxor.

We spent 2 weeks in India with the first week doing the Golden Triangle tour of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur in the North in early March. It was hottish (around 80 - 85 fahrenheit) but was a dry heat so didn't feel as hot as it could have done.

The 2nd week we spent in South Goa at Bogmalo Beach. Initially we were going to North Goa but due to work on the bridge and the fact there could have been a lengthy transfer, we swapped to the south as we didn't fancy up to 90 mins transfer after flying to Goa from Delhi after the week touring.

Goa was extremely cheap, a fascinating place, very friendly people and as sweaty as hell. It was a little warmer than the North but felt much hotter due to the humidity. The nearer you get to April, the more humid it becomes as they start to approach the rainy season. January could possibly be slightly cooler but maybe not as sweaty.

We can compare it to our summer months here in Cyprus. We reached almost 100 percent humidity last week and boy didn't we know it! It's positively draining and the sky does not clear properly so you never get to see an azure blue sky when the humidity is high. That's how it was in Goa, even though the sun was out it always felt as if it was overcast because of the humidity.

We went to Panjim and also to Anjuna market where we came home with loads of shopping (a suitcase full to be exact) and bought some fabulous heavy throws for around £5 each, which we still use everyday on the beds here in Cyprus and in UK before we moved permanently to Cyprus. It's just over 11yrs ago that we went to India as it was a belated celebration for my 40th and I will be 52 this year.

We really enjoyed our time there and it's most definitely a place we would return to.

As for Egypt, well - that's our top most favoured destination now we live in Cyprus. But, I cannot speak for the Red Sea resorts other than the time we went to Hurghada (middle of June). It's the only place I felt cold in Egypt at night! So much so, that we went and sat indoors in one of the bars.

We had travelled there from Luxor during a 2 week holiday and although we enjoyed the snorkelling in Hurghada it's not really somewhere we would rush back to. It felt very much man made and manufactured which didn't have much impact for us plus we don't really like to spend all our time on holidays lying on the beach in the sun or by the pool.

We prefer to get out and about and explore and also have some days to chill so we find Luxor or Aswan tends to fit the bill more for us.

So I suppose it all depends on what you want to get out of your holiday. Whatever your choice, enjoy! :cheers

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Give me Goa anyday ....colleen
Hi Colleen i understand what you are saying but just want a week and a shorter flight. parents go to cavellossim every year for 5 months and wondering why am not goin back this year but will go in 2012 as i am sick of all the Visa stuff. The indians are not too hot on tourism or much for that matter and do nothing to entice you back although Goa just seems to do that i want a change for just a year and though Sharm sounds good for a week! You been to both i know but it must be worth a week? Spain and Canaries played out and too expensive now i think!
Just have to give it a chance but will not give up on Goa despite the visa stuff and the new greed!
K x
Talon67 if I lived in england I would go to Goa for a week if I got the chance... but your so right all this visa :rage cr** would put you off going at all ...if I were you I would go to Egypt for your week cus you know you will get great weather ..colleen
I've been to both a number of times, and like both, though prefer Goa for the culture -there's nothing like Panjim or Margao to go visit around Sharm. Also Sharm tends to be dominated by giant AI hotels - not much opportunity to go it alone.

Agree completely on the crazy Indian Visa situation - one always feels that Goa really doesn't want Brit tourists - especially since they've started doing visa on arrival for some other nationalities now.

In both places it's VERY hot. Though I reckon there's a difference in humidity around April time.
In Sharm you can probably fry eggs on your body, whilst in Goa they tend to get poached.
:rofl
This is the Egypt forum so can we just stick to that and not get involved with any Goa politics.

Graham
We have been regular visitors to Goa for the last 6 years normally going twice a year. We have been once before to Sharm. We have decided to give Goa a miss for a few years, owing to the fact for the cost of a one week holiday in a 3 star hotel (Goa standard), bed and breakfast, going elsewhere to Cuba or Egypt, you will pay the same price and get a 4 or 5 star hotel all inclusive!

Sharm and Goa are a totally different holiday experience. Sharm is a glitzier holiday to a better class of hotel, with lovely promenade area in the centre of resort. Also the flight is half the time.

I would have to say however that Sharm for me does not have the same charm as Goa, the locals are not as friendly as in Goa and the food in Goa is unbeatable.

We are going to Sharm for a week in November and are really looking forward to it, but I would say that we will return in a year or 2 to Goa.
Thanks! first of all i'll let you off being an Eberdeen fan it cant be easy nor is it for me being a gers fan but its not your fault! you sound spot on! I will give it a try but GOA remains close to my heart so much as it does with you! There is sumthin about it ! dont no what but it's there!
South Goa is amazin not too busy but busy enough! Thanks again!
Kevin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.