America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I'm sure you will find loads of information on New York by using the search engine at the top of this forum.

HTH

Driver 02
Yes, there's a huge amount of info, so much that I can't help by merging your post to one particular topic!

Pippy :D
Generally people seem to opt for midtown for a first visits as it's about as central as you can get.

You can get a cab into Manhattan from any of the 3 airports. They are a set charge plus tip and tolls. The most I've seen quoted was $60. I can't remember which airport that was for but at least it'll give you an idea of cost.

I can't recommend any particular sites for packages as we have DIY'd but I've heard that Travelzoo (make sure you get on the American one) often have good hotel deals. For packages, I'd just try the usual - Expedia, Hoiday Supermarket etc. or see what a local travel agent can offer.

If you do fancy DIY, I've booked Radio City Apartments for our first visit as recommended by people both on here and on Trip Advisor. They are extremely popular and it's best to book early. They don't need a deposit (only a CC number) and have a good cancellation policy so could always book them and then if you find a better deal you won't lose out.
Website is here - http://www.radiocityapts.com/
Reviews are here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d93393-r6841601-Radio_City_Apartments-New_York_City_New_York.html
Also, here's a link to New York thread in the City Break forum. It's 5 pages long but if you read throuight this you'll find lots of advice -
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16727&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I can recommend the Milford Plaza. It's near Times Sq. on or very near 8th Avenue and 44th street. Stayed a couple of times and found its position is ideal (midtown), it's clean and popular with Brit. holidaymakers and flight crew.

Newark to Manhattan I've trvelled by train - easy enough and inexpensive. Train stops at Madison Sq. gardens if I recall - you'll then need a taxi for last part or walk if close by. JFK to Manhattan I've only used a limo inbound, taxi outbound. The limo sounds impressive but touts will attempt to get 4-8 passengers together to share a stretched limo. Arrange a firm price beforehand and if there's 5 or more passengers you'll like as not save a little on a standard taxi fare.

If you like the theatre check out the discount ticket sales locations - one at Times Sq (busy) the other down near Wall St. at the junction of Water St. and John St. (or near as matters). Cash only - no credit cards but wife and I saw Phantom for half-price.
Thats the problem with this site, its toooo big!

Everything is splintered all over the forum :(
Thanks for the merge though, I will check the links above.
Everything is splintered all over the forum

Not quite! New York info can be found in the America forum and the City Breaks forum and can all be easily found with search :wink:

You can also read hotel reviews HERE.

Pippy :D
Everyone has their own opinions and its mine that the site is too large and too fragmented.

Still, lots of other sites to view too. Im sure I'll find the info I need.
Everyone has their own opinions and its mine that the site is too large and too fragmented.

Still, lots of other sites to view too. Im sure I'll find the info I need.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You come on here asking questions - with little or no politeness (can't see a please anywhere) and yet a number of people go out of their way to offer what advice they can.

Then you tell US there's a problem with this site - being too big :lol: :lol:

The popularity of this site explains why there's so much data. I can only apologise for not having the forethought to structure my posts in an indexed and orderly manner so as to save your valuable time when reading the answers provided by myself and fellow posters.

Perhaps after your trip to New York you could add further to our knowledge database and post a review - we always appreciate alternate opinions. (Please post in the Hotel, America section :wink: )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.