Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Short Visit
6 Posts
where abouts are you stopping in Gran Canaria?
Most likely you'll be coming into Las Palmas, the city offers all sorts. The Cathedral, the Colombus museum, and shops, all in the Triana area. Playa Las Canteras is the most popular local beach (imagine a Canarian Bondi!) where you can visit to the auditorium alfredo kraus , which is located at the end of the beach.

http://www.grancanaria.com/patronato_turismo/1062.0.html for lots of ideas on Las Palmas. Further afield will be more dependent on time scale if you have to be back by 4, what time are you due to disembark? What sort of things do enjoy? History, sightseeing, scenery etc? Will public transport be your main means of transport?
Firstly thank you for the replies.

Definitely docking at Las Palmas and disembarking at about 9am. :think

Likes, anything and everything, although we, wife and I, do prefer the scenery and history of a country and of course good local food & wine.

Mode of transport, that depends on what there is to see and how far. There will be trips from the ship so some idea of what is around may sway us to take one of the trips. However, I am also a great believer in DIY excursions, you get to see more at half the price. So, may hire a car for the day or if there is lots to do in Las Palmas just stay there. Having never been to Gran Canaria we are looking for a feel of the place in a short space of time and we may come back for a longer holiday in the future. :sun2

Will be grateful for any guidance.
the time you have really does limit you to mainly Las Palmas, which isnt a bad thing as there is alot to see and do. Hiring a car is a good option BUT driving in and out of Las Palmas is an :( experience to say the least, it would probably be best to leave that to a longer stay as travelling out of the southern resorts and exploring the island is a lot gentler on the nerves!!

I'm a bit of a time freak so i would probably plan my day between 10 and 3 to be on the safe side. Siesta in Las Palmas falls a bit later so just after lunch (about 2 ish) smaller shops museums will start to close. Take the morning up to the cathederal and colombus museum. (shops nearby if the missus insists, including Marks and spencer :que ) a stroll up to the gardens or a taxi or bus upto las Canteras for a spot of lunch and more exploring and then a drink at the marina before heading back to the ship.

I ll have a look at some buses routes for you too.

What day of the week do you arrive?

If you do decide to hire a car i can suggest some routes for you
Neil,

Thank you for your reply, :) unless there is something that really catches our eye with an organised trip we will most probebly stay close to the ship. Loking at the web site you posted there is much to keep us occupied.

Thank you again.

Peter D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.