Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Singapore hotels
22 Posts
My son stayed at the Pan Pacific when he was on his round the world trip and he said it was amazing, certainly looked good on his photos.
Last time I was in Singapore I visited friends who were staying at the Pan Pacific, they were on one of the highest floors and had great views. The rooms were spacious and well furnished with the usual robes and slippers. The bathroom was quite luxurious and I think thre was a seperate toilet.
They had stayed previously at the Grand Hyatt and the Mandarin Oriental both of which which they recommended. All three were a bit out of my price range at the time but I would definitely try any one of the three if I wanted a bit of luxury.
It might be too much for us too Judith :lol: ( sorry Judith, I thought I'd acknowledged your post :oops: )
Another one we are looking at is Raffles the Plaza-like where it is :D
I was also in Swissotel Merchant Court last time and, much as I enjoyed my stay there, would look to do something different next time.

If you are willing to splash out for 2 nights, why not make it Raffles? If I go back to Singapore for a short stay, I'll probably make it there just for the experience.

On the one night I did visit Raffles, for the usual tourist trap of a drink at the Long Bar, I was totally taken in by the whole atmosphere of the place. Staying there just appeals to me on so many levels, especially for a short stop of 2 nights which won't break the bank.
I stayed at the Pan Pacific years ago when BA buggered my flights up! I'm trying to remember if that was the hotel with the 'underwater music' in the swimming pool - possibly. Was very strange if that was it! (they also buggered up my flights on the way back and stuck me somewhere else that I can't remember - I was only 11 at the time!).

I've bookmarked some 'interesting' hotels (not a fan of the biggies really) in Singapore that i'm keen to check out - the Scarlet Hotel and the New Majestic, might be worth looking at if you fancy something with a bit of character (and then you can let me know for my next trip!).
I could not afford Raffles- even for 2 nights. However, we have been to their restaurant, Doc Chengs and it was fabulous. We had great problems sorting out something we wanted to afford so eventually gave up and are going to Traders again- but to the Club rooms this time.
I must say having looked at a fair number of hotels in Singapore they all seem very expensive. Also the hotel reports for many dont seem that wonderful from various sites. Have looked through a number of web sites and alll seem to be over 100 pounds a night for half decent ones - and even then as I was saying quite a few reports saying that standards quite low - some rooms even termed as executive did not have windows or in need of renovation. Has anyone got a wee gem they are keeping up their sleave?

Nivsy
Hi Nivsy,

If you are flying Singapore Airlines - try their 'stopover' deals.

Also worth a look (standard room 'rack rate' about 100GBP, but you will get a better deal if you shop around (and SA stopover deal) is http://www.carlton.com.sg/reservations.htm . Positioned behind Raffles, Bras Basah Rd, it is within striking distance of Bugis, the river, Chinatown and Little India - all walkable if you feel that way inclined!

If you want cheaper (and in a similar lication) Victoria Street have a look at http://www.allsonhotelsingapore.com/ (also available on SA stopover). Good hawker food next door!.

Good luck

Peter
When are you going Nivsy?
I've stayed in 3 hotels in Singapore, 2 were pretty good one was average. They all had window's most had good views. They were all clean with no problems. I stayed at the Furama, City Centre (China Town) I would class as a decent 3-4* . I have also stayed at the Allson 3*+ which was clean.Both hotels I would use again. I have also stayed in the Peninsula/Excelsior probably a 3* which I wasn't too thrilled with, not because of standard of room but the fact that it was two hotels combined into one which made it somewhat large and confusing. It was a great location for walking down to the Singapore River though. A lot of hotels are well used and perhaps some could so with a bit of renovation but I haven't stayed anywhere unpleasant. None of these hotels cost over £100 though. I booked with Asia Rooms.
4* Hotels in Singapore aren't cheap and haven't been for some time now, same thing in Bangkok unfortunately
Theres always the Shangri-La comes recommended by my dad. Got friends staying in the Ritz Carlton which looks pretty cool as well. I guess they knocked the Ocean Park Hotel down many years ago. What about the Goodwood Park for a touch of old colonial Singapore.
I haven't stayed at the Shangri La in Singapore but have stayed at the one in KL and 2 in China and they were excellent, but I think it would cost over £100 per night. I'm assuming that Nivsy would like to pay less than that if possible.
Going in May Judith - 18th to 22nd in Singapore then 22nd to 25th in K. Lumper. Recognise the fact that hotels in Singapore more expensive than KL...so a bit of give and take - they just seem expensive for what you are getting. . Did notice though that the Shangri La was over 100 pound a nite for twin/double. I did have a look at Asia Rooms and dont recall anything startling there. Might to a comparison with travelsupermarket. I know about aeroplanes - not hotels!! lol. :cry . Thanxs Sunbear will have a look at your hotel idea.

Nivsy
There should be plenty of choice of hotels available for under £100 per night. Some of the Copthornes come out quite reasonable for example. I misread the thread (has it been combined) hence me throwing out some of the more expensive places. I've stayed at the Merchant Court and what used to be the Apollo(Novotel or whatever it is now). KL is way more cheaper...Mandarin Oriental my favourite there though I've not been for a few years.
After having abit of debate with the current g/f (!) who tells me I should know about such anyway(?) have gone for the Allson Hotel. It looks ok and has some good reports and the price seemed reasonable enough. Now I start looking at KL which at least is cheaper. Shall check Mandarin Oriental first of all....

Nivsy
You should be OK with the Allson, it was fine when I stayed there. Have a good trip.
I have to say that I was shocked with prices I was being quoted for our holiday in July. They definitely seem to have risen drastically in price- or perhaps I was just lucky the other times I went with good deals.
I have to say that I was shocked with prices I was being quoted for our holiday in July. They definitely seem to have risen drastically in price- or perhaps I was just lucky the other times I went with good deals.

Singapore has 'done a Hong Kong', and prices from April have risen by 15-25% across the board for larger hotels (mainly hotels with 300+ rooms capable of holding conventions). Massive excessive demand unfortunately, many companies very furious particularly in light of the support given in the post-SARS period when hoteliers couldn't give rooms away.

Have a look at some of the smaller 'boutiquey' hotels. More interesting, and only minor rises in prices.
yes- I would say we were looking at 25% increases. You must give some recommendations for the smaller hotels.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.