Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
single holidays
15 Posts
How basic do you want? Is your preference guesthouse or hotel?
I think Goa is going to be very quiet this season, so I would look at somewhere that is normally busy and has good eating places like Candolim or Baga
Are you going DIY or package? At the moment the package deals for singles are VERY pricey (I travel alone). Last year I did manage to get a good deal with Olympic via the Travelzoo site (no single supplement).

Check Hotelopia as well as they have single rooms. These are mainly in Calungute but very central.
To give you an idea of the price, a scheduled flight from Heathrow £400, seven nights for an apartment £70 to £100, taxi transfers to and from the airport £20, so a package should be cheaper but this year the charter airlines seem to have forgotten they are supposed to be the cheap way to travel
Unless you plan to return to Goa later in the season I think I wouldn't bother going for just a week as not only is it a long journey but you have the additional cost of a VISA and the holidays become more expensive the less time you go for. However, if you really want to go try looking at Monarch for both packages and room only.If you go the room only route price up for 2 people as well as single occupancy as sometimes it's cheaper to book a double and the choice is bigger too ! (Better explain that to your o/h though !)
If you have never been I would suggest Gambia as an alternative. Overall I prefer Goa but for a week it would be ideal. Don't go for the cheaper hotels though try somewhere like the Sunset Beach in Kotu.The advantages are only a 6 hour flight, no time difference, just as much sunshine, cheap eating out ( maybe not as cheap as Goa) and no VISA requirement. Malaria tablets are recommended and Malorone are expensive but overall you should find the holiday cheaper. The beaches are as good as Goa and if you like fishing there is plenty there.
I have to agree with Dave to be honest a week would run expensive as the bulk of your cost is the flights, plus the cost of your visa. I booked a flight with Qatar airways and a room only 1000rs
  • Edited by MazD 2010-09-30 19:15:06
hi bob
if you can get the time go for two weeks the cost difference is well worth it
don't be put off going for a week. Many have- infact I only went for 5 days(but that wasn't what I had planned :rofl )
I know someone who went to Australia for the weekend believe it or not. Mind you I wouldn't do that either !
I can't see the problem with only a week, once you are on the plane what's it matter if it is a four, six eight or even a ten hour flight, every thing else take the same amount of time, the getting to the airport, the wait to check your bags, the wait to get on the plane, the wait to get off, the wait for immigration, customs and getting to the resort .

It would not be worth getting up in the morning if you assessed the time trouble and effort it takes to do everything before going back to bed.
Obviously it's a matter of choice, not a criticism that someone would contemplate a 7 day Goan holiday.
To my mind the length of flight makes a big difference.An extra 7 hours of journey is a whole working day. The time difference means you will probably miss half the first day by falling asleep. Add to this that it's probably more expensive to go to India rather than somewhere closer that can offer good weather then..... well it's an individual decision.
Hi all

Unfortunately I have only got 5 days holiday left so I would have to go on a weekend. I have been 3 times before but not on my own. Goa was only one avenue I was exploring but still deciding what to do
Hi trouble!! Thought you knew the place like the back of your hand anyway!!
:que Especially the best places!! :rofl
GG
It was just a bit of advice on hotels that did single rooms really.

Trouble moi! I only ever drank in Goa when I was with you
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.