Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Those are fantastic deals. Thanks for sharing, Windjammer. If still available, I think there are further Fred Olsen cruises with no single supplement.

As I mentioned on my thread MSC are now not charging a single supplement on the cruise I am booked on. It's from Genoa to Rio De Janeiro for 17 nights + 1 night hotel in Rio + a night on the plane. Fllights are from Heathrow. It's currently £899 (I have seen it at £799 from Gill's but that was a one day only offer).

I think that next year I am going to leave it until November to book my cruise!
This year the winter deals are the best for a number of years, loads of singles options on Fred, very frienly ships, Caribbean at least 10% cheaper than last year with deals down at £800 for two weeks, Some late transatlantics also offering great value. Ther eis a lot out there.

Lets hope this continues in the new year, and that there is over capacity in the summer especialy in the Med, two OV ships to fill and more US ships also more berths ex-uk to fill.
It's about time prices were brought more in line with those charged in the Caribbean. There over-capacity has brought prices down to rock bottom hence the reason more and more US ships are crossing the Atlantic in search of higher yields. Along with the increasing number of European ships, including OV2, Costa Serena and MSC Orchestra, capacity is greatly increased so I am hopeful prices will remain static at least. However the number of Brits cruising is increasing at a fantastic rate, so it may all balance out in the end.
I couldn't agree more about pricing Craig. A lot of us would be cruising more frequently if we were able to get prices like those charged for the Caribbean - they are unbelievably cheap whereas this year cruises from Europe increased in price considerably, in general. I have been fortunate enough to get two cruises which didn't incur a single supplement but the problem is you have to wait until the last minute to get them and this isn't feasible for everyone. Unfortunately the whole world treats the single traveller very badly in terms of pricing and accommodation!!!
Remember allthough the caribbean prices look good they often have a few extras so hardly ever include flights or accomodation which the uk package deals do. Often the US headline price will have some taxes added as well.

The problem for the ships and singles is the space, Fred Olsen single cabins are quite spacious. Some lines offer a share and save but a lot of singles do not want to share.
I am seriously thinking of splashing out on a singles cabin on Fred Olsens cruise in January 2008. In anyones experience, will they ever come up as a late booking, or should I do it now? The sector I want to cruise is the south sea islands. Thanks in advance :D
Yes, Fred Olsen offers do come up for singles - I know because I have just returned from a 21night cruise on Boudicca. If you don't have any restrictions - like a job! - then wait for the offers. I booked mine just under a month before departure. Up until that time I had been told everything was fully booked and of course that was not the case! Surprisingly I also got a cabin upgrade to an outside twin so you may be lucky. When I get my land legs back I will write a review (I just got back yesterday!!!)
Thanks Magsy, for that reply! It certainly gives me hope, so will wait for the offers :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.