UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Shakermaker, don`t know if this would suit you or not, but we loved it. The cottage is in a tiny place called Llanfair, 3 miles from Harlech, on a farm, but with it`s own garden , and a gate to separate you from the farm, but that doesn`t stop sheep from coming up into the garden, which we quite enjoyed! It`s a mile from the sea, but only a couple of minutes by car. The kitchen has washing machine, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and there is a TV and video. The lady you need to contact is Mrs. Thomas, she`s really nice.
http://www.hengaeau-farm.co.uk
Thanks for the reply will look into this.

cheers
Hi Shakermaker, if you need any further info PM me, as I live in Snowdonia...
Are you friendlier than some of the miserable north welsh people me and my wife met at the weekend in Caernarfon? They even gave us plastic glasses in one pub because we weren't local and talked about us in Welsh!
Welsh people speaking Welsh....whatever next :shock:
well i do speak welsh if thats what you mean....and contrary to popular belief, we do have better things to talk about than the english person sat next to us.....

which pub did you go to? I doubt very much that they gave you plastic glasses because you werent local. They do it a lot in the summer, esp in certain pubs, because the tourism trade goes up, and its easier than cleaning glasses all day....ive even heard of places in england who do it :shock:

And yes I am friendly, and its Caernarfon I live in. :wink:
They even gave us plastic glasses in one pub because we weren't local and talked about us in Welsh!

:lol: Evereyone got plastic glasses in Caernarfon last weekend and all through this week because the Eisteddfod is taking place nearby, there is even more Welsh speakers about this week from all over Wales. Come back in about 20 years the Welsh language will be long dead by then if it bothers you that much. Or preferably you can visit Rhyl or Prestatyn.
Too true, Ronnie...... :lol: :wink:

Off Topic Wherebouts in Wales do you come from??
There were no more than 6 people in the pub, all had proper glasses, but when we went in there we were given with plastic ones. I can't remember the name - quite a large pub with a blue and white exterior.

I don't have an issue with anyone speaking whatever they like. What upset me and my wife was an immediate assumption that as I was obviously English we were out of towners and so wouldn't undertsand what they were saying.

Unfortunately my wife is Welsh and speaks Welsh as a first language so she was quite upset about what was said about us and told them so - no apology was forthcoming, but the look on their faces was worth it for me.
Well, if they did say something about you then that is a different matter, and it is wrong. Obviously you get people like this in every town, and I suppose Caernarfon is no different. Especially as it is such a Welsh town, with a lot of old people not being able to speak English even or never been out of Wales. :shock:

Believe me I know how it feels, going places and speaking Welsh and having people talk about you in English because they think you dont understand. But as you say, when you turn around and say something sweetly in english its all worth it :lol:

I cant think of the Pub you mean....strange for me, as ive drunk in every one here :lol: Whereabouts is it? and where does your wife come from?

@Ronnie..dim yn amal tin gweld riwun o Gaerdydd yn gallu siarad Cymraeg!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.