Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
FTV, most people tend to use Rapala but Dexter Wedge lures are a decent lure to try, various sizes and wieghts.The problem with lure fishing is the cost if you lose them and some places can be very snaggy. I stay at the MD so I have fished the lakes & the river at the side of the MD, I have also fished Chapora Jetty(were the fishing boats unload) and just before you get to Morjim (which is fairly snag free)......cheers Keith ;)
FTV try off Nerul bridge just outside Candolim but make sure you know the tide times or watch the locals !!!!! plenty of red snapper there but no good with Lures best to be out on a boat for that. You also get some great fish off the fort aguada but it can cost you a lot in tackle as it is very rocky.

Best of luck

Mike
Hi

Fished Baga beach,i used a 2oz breakaway lead and a 2 hook rig. I use prawns or squid,which i buy from calangute fish market. So far only caught catfish
I have managed to find some tidetables for Marmagao which should be usefull for anybody casting a line :tup Can`t wait now new Beastmaster 14 ft travel beachcaster just bought for the big stuff and a shed load of lures for the spinning rod and some brand new braid for the reels, Mrs will have the shock of her life when I open my case in Goa :yikes

Tide table here : http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/3612.html?y=2011&m=3&d=1
Only ever caught on a lure whilst trolling red & white lures and only red & white, shallow diving and I've tried LOTS of different strategies. Troll usually from Coco Beach round to Fort Aguada & sinquerim and also hugging the coast the other way out the bay (up the mandovi). Also trolled on the opposite bank of the mandovi with success. Barramundi, Grouper, & Snapper. You'll need a very long cast to catch mangrove Jack in Goa because they only libve in Australia, I assume worldfisher meant Red Snapper. Also I'm pretty sure Mahseer are fresh water only & found in just two places in India neither of which are anywhere near Goa so whilst people might like to target them I doubt very much they're gonna catch one, not in Goa anyway, not unless its frozen.

As someone said try the beachcasting I've caught lunch several times off of Candolim Beach near the RP & also up Ashvem but I'm sure most of the coast line will be good. It's a little more sociable for the missus too as if yours is anything like mine then she doesn't like getting up at 5.00 a.m. to meet a boat and neither does she like rock climbing round by the fort so we tend not to go together. What she does like is lying on the beach drinking vodka lime soda and she can do that next to me whilst I'm beachcasting. It also means you can get a Kings when you fancy one & get the shack to cook up your catch for you. I have had difficulty identifying some fish off the beach. Mostly the shack boys know if they're eaters or not but not always the name. Keep the end gear simple, breakaway and a simple one hook rig - use 20 lbs mainline but also a use a shock leader cos you'll need a heavy lead everywhere.

Also if you follow the coast road from coco beach up river towards Verem there's a place called Fort Reiss fishing is ok & you can use lighter tackle, but holdig the bottom is diffiicult.

Tide is very important

And lots of cat fish about, not big wels cat fish like here but little spiky things that go sceptic of you don;t clean the whole they leave in your hand. They seem to live quite happily in freshor salt water.

Taking out a boat rod and a beach caster this year (next year actually but you know what I mean) which I'll be leaving with Sanjay frm Ice & Spice so if you want go fishing andwnat some decent gear to fish with speak to Sanjay -guess what, he has a boat!

P.S. Don't fish in bare feet it's a pain in the butt going to the hospital to have the hook removed.....yes, that was me.
Some good advice, thanks Fritz :tup I have just got in touch with a local lad on a fishing forum who is up for showing me some good spots for Barramundi, can`t beat local knowledge. Really want to fish for some bigger stuff on bait like guitar fish and small shark which would probably mean a night time trek onto the sand but would be brilliant to experience.

Just bought this travel beachcaster for the heavy work

http://www.veals4carp.com/ProductImages/fullsize/beastmaster_stc_surf_fixed_spool_(tbmsf425bxh).jpg

not cheap but should be well up to the job with an Abu 7000 loaded with 50 lb braid and mono 100lb traces, the locals don`t seem to do a lot of bait fishing for the big stuff, they seem quite happy tiddler snatching catfish for tea.
hi feelthevibe

Could you let me know were to buy one of these rods
rgs
Hi Wal, I got it from http://www.veals4carp.com but it cost £142, unless you are a serious angler I would opt for something a little cheaper, let me know what you intend to use it for and I can recommend something a bit cheaper for you.
what type of fish are in the lakes at the MD and would a non resident be able to get a days fishing?

I Fly fish mostly and have took my gear out to Goa a couple of times , first time i tried of the rocks at Chapora but as the tide was racing in i had no chance of connecting with anything.
second time i took my gear i had arranged a boat at coco for an early morning jaunt before sunrise but the boat owner let me down by non apearance so it put me off a bit.

i am booked up to go out February 2011 and would like to give it one more try...any ideas anyone?
Billy B I'm out at the end of Feb if you're still there you'd be welcome to come along with us.

I also forgot to mention that the start of the season is much more productive for sea fishing than the end.
fritz.
Thanks for the offer, i am out there from 6th till 21st February.
I have heard of some big fish in MD lakes, non residents are charged 500 rps so I believe, should be comfortable fishing with the chance of a biggie. Barramundi and snappers are in the lakes I am told so a wire trace or heavy mono of 100lb should sort that out. I will be there 1st March if your still around Fritz and fancy a plugging session on the lake :tup
Found this by Dean Gonsalves http://passageenclave.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/hooked-fishing-in-goa-part-1/ read part 2 as well some interesting reading.
I'm there until the 11th March so yes sounds good to me. Do you get there on the 1st? If so I'll pm you the indian mobile no. when I get it (we're there from the 25th)

That link is great but I'm not sure if the writer is on about the new or old lighthouse at Fort Aguada. any ideas?
Looking on google map it would seem to be the new lighthouse, the old one is too close to the prison and I cannot see them allowing you so close. There seems to be a few outcrops of rock and a few paths so maybe that is where he means. I will be in Goa late evening of the 1st so give me a few days to get into Goan mode and I will have a couple of hours fishing. I have been in contact with Goa angling who sent this following e-mail :

Thank you for your mail. Our fishing trips starts from Rs 5000/-, boat, tackle/bait, 2 anglers four hours bottom fishing. To Rs 8000/-= 10000/-.boat tackle, 2 anglers for four to five hours of inshore trolling fishing.
We have all that you will ever need, you need not bring anything except one or two of your favorite lure

Heard this guy (Tony) knows what he is doing so will probably have a trip out with him.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.