Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Oh I stayed at the Somerset Suwan Park in March...its well located (3 mins walk to Skytrain and Skywalk) and a pleasant area just off the main shopping areas.
I split this from "must dos" and gave it its own thread. I've just been looking at both apartments. I must try this some time instead of hotels. I notice though that the Ascott is not near to the skytrain and this could be a bit of a bind. It may be in a idea to just take a taxi to the nearest sky train stop rather than to your destination( assuming your destination is close to a sky train stop of course!)
I have asked for them to be added to our reviews so hopefully someone(!) may be able to give them their first reviews!
I thought the Ascott was too far from the Skytrain as well, but we actually saw the Ascott from the Skytrain window and it looked walkable. Not sure but they might supply a shuttle to link with Skytrain stations. Its great to have the extra space rather than being just shoved in a hotel room.
They don't mention a shuttle service on their website but that doesn't mean to say there isn't one. You can always ask them.
Here is their contact page.
It was you Sunbear that gave us the idea of a serviced apartment in your report back in March. (Thanks :D ) As we have 2 teenagers, a 2 bedroom apartment suits our needs. We liked the Somerset Suwan Park and from the info we had seemed central. We decided to book into a different apartment on our return to Bangkok so decided on the Ascott. It says it is a 5-7 minute walk to the skytrain.
Will leave reviews on our return - would love to see other reviews about them. Only 23 days till we go :D :D
Debs81
Well I see you've done the right thing and left the poshest place (The Ascott) till last...not that there is anything wrong with the Somerset Suwan may I hasten to add. Can't remember if I did a review on it...possibly not. So here's a taster.

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment. This comprised lounge diner kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. Loads of space, telly in lounge and bedroom - the lounge had dvd/vhs and home cinema. We had a balcony but since the airconditioning units were on the balcony it was not a place you dwelled long. The bathroom was the only real dissapointment, no seperate shower cubicle and a little dated but perfectly fine. The rooms are done out with a lot of wood, not the minimalist design of some of the more recent Ascott properties. Dimmer switches on your lights, desk with broadband connection in the bedroom (was not Wifi though but its in the price of your room...engineer even comes to help you get installed if your having problems). I've seen it described as four star accomodation and I think that is a fair reflection...and of course you get a huge amount of room compared to a hotel. Everything worked and was well maintained.

The Suwan had most of the features of a hotel...rooms spotless cleaned daily...two restaurants (Mediterranean and Japanese I think), a reasonable breakfast provided. Room service was also provided and also the facility to order in from a wide range of restaurants in Bangkok should you fancy an evening in. Swimming pool looked pleasant though we did not use it, as does the gym. There was even a kids club/creche facility. Spa facilities could be found across the road. The reception staff were excellent, helping us organise a couple of days out and booking restaurants.

Position wise its three minutes to Chid Lom Sky Train station, we could see the Central Department store from our window (which has a very good supermarket should you wish to stock up). You have access to the Skywalk from here as well which is a great way to stroll around this part of Bangkok.Soi Tonson the road the property is on is quite quiet as its a no through road. You can walk down it, cut through a little alleyway and you wind up up at one end of Lumphini Park
Thanks Sunbear. As usual detailed and a great help.
Debs81,
I see your back...read your reviews of the Suwan Park and The Ascott. Phew...you seemed to enjoy the Suwan Park...its always a bit nerve wracking giving recommendations.

Hope you had a good stay in Thailand...we need to hear more, a bit more info on The Ascott would be appreciated as its on our shortlist for our next visit...don't know if I would want to do hotels in Bangkok now that I have done a few serviced apartments...I just love the extra room you have.
Hi Sunbear
We had a fab time. Thanks for your recommendation for the Suwan Park. Great Location.

The Ascott was superb, although our apartment was not as big as the Suwan Park, it was more luxurious. We had a two bedroomed apartment. The master bedroom was a good size with ensuite bathroom, kingsize bed, TV, plenty of storage space. The bath had pull-back screens into the bedroom. There was a separate shower cubicle with raindrop shower as well as normal shower.
The second bedroom had a double bed, TV, plenty of storage space.
There was a second bathroom - no separate shower though.
The living area was a good size, with TV, DVD, surround sound.
The kitchen was superb, not that we used it much.
There was a separate utility room with tumble dryer and washing machine.
We then had a further room which was the luggage room. This was great as everything not in use was kept out the way.
Daily newspaper included, as was breakfast. Breakfast was superb, a great selection.

The hotel itself was lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge was extremely helpful. We had trouble contacting Etihad to confirm our return flights, she took over the task and sorted it out. It turned out the monday they were shut as it was a bank holiday and Tuesday they were inundated with calls because of terrorist threats in England.

The hotel was extremely clean and well presented. even the sand in the ashtrays was stamped every morning with the hotel stamp and an orchid placed in it. There were three (I think) restaurants in the hotel, although we went out every evening. The pool was fab. On arrival we were each given a 600Baht voucher to use in the Spa.

Location wise, not so central. After staying at Suwan Park, we felt this was a bit out of the way. However it is only about 8-10 minute walk from Skytrain. There is not much to do in surrounding area, although a new 'venice of the east' complex with 6 star hotel is being built across the road, but not due to be complete until 2008.

We went to Grand Palace, and had a trip down the river. We visited Patpong a few times and Chatachuk market(phew)!

We travelled down to Hua-Hin by train. We went the day before to get our train tickets, and the best we could get was 2nd class with fan. We bought for 212 bahts. What a journey. We loved it. It was great travelling down with the windows open, the wind blowing through our hair. I now know why it takes so long an the train. At each station sellers get on to sell food, so the train stops for 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately could not get a train back on the day we wanted as it was a bank holiday and booked so got a taxi.

In Hua-Hin we stayed at Baan Chaitalay which is a privately owned condo on the beach. It is next to Hyatt which was on Khao Takiab beach. The pool has got to be the biggest I have ever seen, with several adjoining sections. The great thing was there were few people here. There were times when we had the pool to ourselves, whereas in the Marriott the sunbeds were cramped and full (hubby went for a walk and explored). Our apartment was two bedroomed with each opening onto the balcony which overlooked the pool.
On beach outside our apartment there was horse-riding, banana boat and massages.
We visited the elephant village which was an experience and monkey mountain/standing Buddah twice.
Although a little out of Hua Hin, there was a Taxi service outside. We then got a tuk-tuk back every night. What an experience overtaking traffic in this contraption.

We loved Thailand and will definately go back. Yes, another converted family. There was something for everyone. We flew with Etihad and can't complain about them. We were even put up in the airport hotel at Abu Dhabi with complimentary meals for 12 hour as our flight got changed. We took a taxi into Abu Dhabi which was an experience.

This whole holiday was DIY, and even with spending money, living luxuriously it cost less than last years holiday in Europe including spending money.

Already thinking about next year and where to try next..........
Thanks for that...debs81. I knew the Ascott would be swisher having been round the one in KL. I get the feeling the Suwan Park will get a makeover sometime soon, although I have to say I liked all that wood.

The Baan Chaitalay looks interesting...what a pool. Its years since we've been to Hua Hin and that looked like an interesting option. If you don't mind me asking how much was the rental, as they don't give it away on the website.

What planes did you get on the etihad flights...did you have the fantastic entertainment system with the touch sensitive screens?
The rental for one night in Baan Chaitalay was 4500baht (£64) or 20000baht for a week. For a week this worked out at £283. It was accomodation only. However when you work out the price of two rooms in a hotel it was a bargain. For us it was great because of the pool. There were security guards at each entrance so only residents were allowed.

I agree the wood in Suwan Park gave it a grand feel about it. We liked it too.

We were on the new 777-300's with Etihad for all four journeys with the new touch screen entertainment system. I couldn't really fault Etihad. Defo think about flying with them again.
Debs I am so pleased you enjoyed Thailand - it is very addictive isn't it, we first went there 6 years ago and said we don't want to get tied down to one place but 5 visits later I'm still hooked.
We visited Hua Hin a couple of years back and may consider a short stay there again in the future as we tend to like a couple of cities in the far east followed by a few days rest in Thailand, can I please ask how long it actually took the train to get to Hua Hin?
We may try that option next time, thanks.

p.s why not try Northern Thailand next time it's awesome.
Hi ShirleyV
It took about 4 hours.
As I said we were in the 2nd class with fans (cost 212 baht). It was great, an enjoyable experience. However may not have been so enjoyable if raining. All seats faced forward. They did recline back, but were not the most comfortable. However for the price it was great.
If you went in 2nd class with air conditioning you had snacks and drinks provided (cost 272 baht).
Will look at Northern Thailand. Thanks.
Debs
I'm glad you liked Thailand! We have looked at holidaying in Europe recently as we used to love Greece. However, when you look at how much you spend per day in Europe, I have a feeling overall holiday costs would not be that much different.( and I know where I'd rather go!)
I have asked for your Hua Hin apartments to be added if you have time to do a review for us. Thanks for the ones you have already done.
Here are Debs reviews. (We also have new reviews from mopitt and ShirleyV. thanks to everyone who takes the time to write reviews. They do make a difference)
Fiona just like you I love Greece , but not nearly as much as Asia, last year we went to Parga and spent far more there than we did in Thailand and Cambodia this year.
Ok, it costs more to get there but I think the Asian experience is unbeatable ,the hotel standards and good service are far superior to Greece so it's Asia for me all the time now .
I agree with everything being said about Europe etc. Went to Thailand in March and can't wait to return- ok the flight is more expensive but the hotels and food are for nothing compared to Europe. Off to Turkey next week and then Goa in Jan but Thailand is definitely on our return list.
We have our main holiday in the winter...so it makes sense for us to go to the Far East for winter sun...I'd have no interest in the Canaries...Caribbeans OK but the Far East is by far my favourite...its just so much more value for money...accommodation standards and service levels are just so much higher then anywhere else I've been, and the holiday just feels so much more individually tailored to what I want.

Having said that I have been discovering the delights of holidays nearer to home in our summer (just as long as I accept the accommodation is not going to be a patch on the Far East...unless I pay through the nose for it).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.