Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Son Parc
21 Posts
Hi :D

Have you read the HT reviews?

CLICK HERE

Philippa :D
Thanks for that Phillippa I will have a look now
You will love it.
I have to say this is one of the best places that ive been on holiday. We were a bit dubious at first because Sa Caleta itself is a very small resort but everything you need is in the apartments. Entertainment night and day but they arent pushy they wont force you into anything and if you have kids they are looked after and will have great fun. The apartments themselves are fairly basic but a good size with everything you need. If you want something farther afield the old capital of Cituedela is literally a half hour walk away . On the down side when we were there, there were a couple of break ins so I would recommend you get a safe and ask for an apartment not on the ground floor when you get there. Hope this helps..............Stewart..
Its lovely, nice rooms, lovely pool, and it backs on to the most lovely beach. :D
Am about to book a holiday in Son Parc.....please tell me its lovely, difficult to find many photos? Is it really that small??
Gill
It's lovely. There you go! Actually, lovely is too strong a word and my nose would probably grow longer if I described it as a big resort as well but it's a pleasant, quiet resort with a decent, gently-shelving beach probably best-suited to families with young children. Teenagers might be a little bored though as there isn't a lot to do for their age group. It also has a Golf course for those who like that sort of thing. There are a handful of bars and restaurants in the main street but the main focus is the beach really.

Remember to ignore all weather forecasts this time :wink: and if you didn't get to see much of the island last year, I would definitely consider hiring a car this time (even if only for a few days) to see for yourself some of the other resorts of this lovely island.

I took a few photos of the beach when we were on holiday in Menorca last September which you might want to have a look at via the link below.
Thankyou for the photos, do you know anything about the villa El Retiro booked it through owners direct?
Am hoping I won't need to worry about the weather as we are flying out in August...just don't wanna be disappointed after staying at Cala Galdana.
Gilly
There is an easy walk along the coastal footpath to Arenal if you fancy a change of scene. Not a lively place really but a few good bars and some nice places to eat in addition to the very beautiful beach.
And I don't suppose anyone has got any photos of 'the Strip' because all I have found are the beach.
ta
Gilly :)
Hi Gill
I have been to Son Parc for the last 3 years and love it. I am in my 50s though so you might find it a little tame if you are younger? We have stayed at El Vents (wouldn't go back) and at the golf appartments - which we liked.
Son Parc is mainly one strip of shops/restaurants that lead to the beach ( a good walk). Nothing much in the shops just postcards/swimsuits/etc and food shops, mainly the Spar (fresh food/ freezer food/ not much good - there are also restaurants & car hire. I strongly advise car hire as there is only one way in & out of Son Parc. One bus takes you to Mahon or onto Fornells and that's it. As far as entertainment goes there isn't any, only at the hotels really if you are staying at one? It's all beach life & evening meals. The beach/sea is fantastic but no boat trips or water sport hire. There is a cafe on the beach but no main public loos. There are some nice walks if that's what you like to do.
You mention Cala Galdana - we are going there this year, why didn't you like it? Son Parc is no where near as lively as Cala Galdana - about the same amount of shops/restaurants but not so much activity or beach hire. Tell me where you are staying if you need more information. We love Son Parc but you do need car hire. Hope this helps - Vick :lol:
Well actually we love Cala Galdana we just fancied a change..we are country folk and do not expect much from a holiday except a lovely beach and an evening meal I have two children but all they want is a nice sea to swim in because they love swimming especially in the sea..We are staying at El Retiro villa which we booked through owners direct it would be lovely if you had any information, we have already booked a car which shall be at the airport but we don't do much travelling, we'll probably visit Mahon so my daughter does not get withdrawal symptoms from the lack of shops..I have written a review on Cala Galdana on this site if you interested...you will love it, great place.
Gilly
Hi again - I'll look at the Cala Galdana site later - thanks. We did have a look at the place last year and as it looked nice and thought we would have a change and book there this year.
If your children love the sea then you will love the bay at Son Parc, it's about the best on the Island, in my opinion. Really great for children as you can walk right out to sea and still stand up! The water is just like warm tap water it's so clear. There isn't any shade on the beach so it might be as well to buy an unbrella if you intend to spend some time there. There is a car park right next to the sand although the road is a bit rickety. It is quite a walk from the main area (the strip) especially in the heat - we walked it a few times but found it better in the car to carry all the kit. Even if you don't like golf (we stayed at the golf park but never played) it worth going to. You can walk along the golf course and sit at different seating areas - it's very nice if you like nature as there are lots of wildlife and the peacocks seem to have 'right of way'. From the golf course there is a walk that takes you along a nature trail through a wooded area and brings you out at the Spar shop (not the one along the strip, this is another one, better too) There is also an estate agents & restaurant/pubs here. We found this better than the strip restaurants/pubs and a nice stroll to in the evening.
As you drive down the road to Son Parc, firstly you will pass the golf park then further along the road you will see the Spar shop and a few restaurant/ pub, this is where we ate most of the time. Further still you will enter Son Parc/ the strip with it's one long road of shops/reataurants etc on one side of the road.
We did walk to Arenal and it is a good walk, very hilly place and quite a busy place - nice beach ( not as nice as Son Parc though).
Fornells is worth a visit but we found it a bit boring to be honest - food much too expensive - no beach.
Don't know of El Retiro but if you tell me where it is situated I might know more. Vick :lol:
Don't suppose you have any photos of any interest that you could email via private message?
Cheers Gilly.
Sorry - no photos. I did write this for the resort report but couldn't upload it. You might find it interesting? Can you be of any help to me please - do you know anything about a Villa Encana Cala Galdana - I'm told it is up a hill near a restaurant but that's all i know.
REVIEW-Son Parc
There is only one road in and out of Son Parc, so it is advisable to have a car. A bus does run from Son Parc and it takes you one way as far as Fornells and the other way to Mahon. I didn't see anyone offering trips out to anywhere else on the Island so you are quite cut off without a car. As you approach Son Parc you pass the Golf Park, which has a large restaurant, the restaurant is open to anyone but it is not your burger & chips sort of place. There is also a nice walk along the golf range with seating areas. Just after the pond at the end of the walkway carry on and follow the dirt track through the trees, along the nature reserve, this will bring you out at the second of Son Parc's Spar shops, a larger shop and better than the one along the strip. Take plenty of bread for the peacocks & ducks. The Golf Park is a very quiet place and I wouldn't recommend it to stay at if you have children.
As you drive past the Golf Park, follow the road round you will see the Spar shop just mentioned, on the left. There are a handful of other shops/restaurants here too and an English pub. Carry on and you come to a mini roundabout, to the left is 'The strip'. This is just a collection of shops, Spar shop/restaurants, English/ Chinese/pubs & souvenir shops, also car hire. These are all on one side of the road while the other side of the street is wasteland & apartments. If you carry on walking when the shops end, you will find yourself walking to the beach. It's a good walk but lots of shade from the trees. If you carry on at the mini roundabout you come to quite a few hotels and another large souvenir/food shop. Most of these hotels seemed to have entertainment on in the evening; we didn't go in so I don't know if they were open to anyone. Further up the hill it's all apartments/villas and some stunning views of the bay. You can walk down to the beach from here but it's a long climb. The beach/sea is the highlight of Son Parc, it's beautiful. Brilliant for children as it's so safe, you can walk right out, it's amazing. There is a bar on the beach that sells food & drinks and you can drive almost onto the sand. Son Parc is a very quiet place all based around the beach & eating out.
I had a look at it on the internet and it did not look familiar, but by your description and on the website I would imagine it is behind the Hotel Cala Galdana, everywhere as you are probably aware is on a hill in CG. When are you going? If you would like to see some of my snaps then you could email me via private message with your email address and I'll send you some photos.
Gilly.
Hi - thanks for the offer of the pics -
I am going at the end of June - do you know if CG gets many mozzys? We were bit to death last year at Son Parc in July, so I will be prepared better this year. Someone also told me that they thought Encana was near a Sa Lluna restaurant?
Thanks Vicky :lol:
Email address removed please use pm instead
Biff
Hi, We are 31 & 32 with 2 children, 5 and 8..we go to Son Parc twice every year because my in-laws own an appartment near the golf club. We love it. (Our son does love golf though!)

Son Parc is nice and quiet and the beach is safe for kids and never too crowded. The 'Strip' is fine - there are some very nice restaurants - Halissys, C'an Pipa etc then there's SaBarraca (just on the main road out of Son Parc) and the Golf Club itself - lovely food. You should hire a car though - we always do and go off exploring all the beautiful hidden beaches, visit Mahon harbour, go to the Lladro castle (go-karting and kids' play area), seek out some lovely restaurants all over the island in the evenings...the list goes on.

We are never bored, the kids love Menorca and with a car you can really explore this beautiful and friendly island! :D
Hi

We been to Menorca a few times and always visit the beach at Son Parc, we love it. So we thought about staying in the resort next year. Does anyone have any info about bars/restaurants there please?
Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.