Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
it has been years since the last time i went over. in 1995 there were signs on the road helping you to get there so i believe there still should be some.
its a strange feeling being there either when visiting the German or the allied one. it might had been war but so many lives.... makes you thinking about humans...
Hi
I was in Crete last June. The war cemetary is sign posted and in any case any holiday rep. worth their salt can tell you how to get there.
Greekofile
Visited the cemetary about 10 years ago - have been to a few in other countries and found this to be this best kept one and most moving - dont really know why but it was. It is in a good setting. Remember finding it fairly easily and would certainly go again if nearby.
you will find tours that go there. it is a very humbling experience.
Thanks for the replys. I'm sure I'll find it.

My grandad was involved in the battle of Crete in May 1941. He was lucky enough to be evacuated by the Royal Navy from the south coast but a few members of his regiment (The Black Watch) were killed and I believe they are buried at Souda Bay. He never managed to get back to see their graves - he died in 1989 - so the visit will be on his behalf.

Regards,

Andy
Andy

Please look at the following website before you go, it maybe of interest

http://www.cwgc.org
When you leave the airport you can see it from the road whilst travelling down, as you are above it. If you have a car it shouldnt be difficult to find on ground level and there are signposts. There is also a German one at Maleme.
not totaly related to your question but there are some really good books available for that period of time.
the most common name i have seen is ''the battle of crete''. have a go to see if you can find it to check out if your grandfather is mentioned or what his regiment did.
From what i have heard some of the men were never found (as in bodies) but there are all the names mentioned there from the records they have.
Thanks for all the replies.

Sokin, I've read a couple of books about the Battle of Crete and I believe that the Black Watch were involved in the defence of the airfield (now international airport) at Heraklion
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.