EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Don't you speak enough of the language to go along and ask the spanish authorities :que
I'd say that my Spanish would be sufficient, but have you ever seen the queues at National Police station to renew a DNI? I thought it may be quicker asking here, but as there hadn't been a reply I asked my gestor.
Actually, the point of asking about citizenship is to be able to vote in Galician elections. Having looked into the timespan and the expense of gaining Spanish citizenship and then reapplying for British citizenship has put me off for now.

My next question is to ask if anybody on here who doesn't hold Spanish citizenship has ever voted in Spanish regional (Autonomous - Comunidad Valenciana, Andalucia, Catalunia, Pais Vasco etc) elections. In most parts of Europe this type of regional election is regarded as locality based - therefore any EU citizen living in the region has the right to vote. In Galicia this isn't the case, what's it like elsewhere. In Spain, the important day to day decisions are made at regional level (healthcare and education, for example) and I think that being resident in the community should be sufficient to be able to vote.

Does anybody else think that it is important?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.