Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
You might be better off posting your question on the British Expats forum - see the link below:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Regards

Hemingway
nevis42 i think it depends on whether you know what date you want to return to the UK? one way fares are generally dearer
chilly
We normally book a return but there are a few things to watch out for

1. The airlines can only book so far in advance so if you bought a return today you would have book the return flight for January even if it is a years open ticket and you did not want to return until May. You then get the agent to reschedule the ticket before the return date, that way you do not get charged for the change or use up your free change of date.

2. Make sure you can change the return date even if there is a small charge, just in case you want to stay longer or have to go home early.

3. If you only have a one way ticket you could have problems with immigration, I do not know if that is the case in India but a lot of countries want to know you have a ticket to go home.

4. It might pay to get a year's tourist visa if you don't want to wait until the last minute to apply

Good luck

Me
1) I guess you are referring to Jet Airways when you mention the "one free change of return date"? I strongly suspect that they have dropped that very useful benefit. There is no mention of it on their website anymore and a lot of searching brings up a reference to charges. Everyone I know who as booked with Jet since Christmas and bothered to check has been told no free change, the office in Panjim says the same too. Our agent, Bethany Travel in Anjuna checked at length and eventually was told that it could be done, but the ticket price jumped radically, in fact by more than the fee to change a flight (we were told £50 some places and $50 others).
2) Good advice! Most airlines offer this facility for the sort of figure mentioned above. Some however want up to £250(!) and others claim not to be able to do it at all.
3)India is not one of the countries that requires a return ticket to be shown. For certain.
4)A few do seem to be sneaking out of HCI London, good luck, but remember if you pay for 12 months and only get 6, there is no refund given.
me again

The tip for applying for a year visa is don't pay on line.

I was told when applying for daughter and family to send a PO for the six month and a PO for the difference which would be returned if they only got six months.

I was also told to send a letter explaining why they wanted a year visa (so they could come and see Mum & Dad who stay long term). They all got one year.

I agree it is not a lot of good for a long term stay if you only get the six months but I would suggest to Nevis 42 ,send a letter with the visa forms something like ... we have just retired and would like to tour India while still young enough to enjoy it or if they have the deeds to the house or own a company they should have business visa's and can apply for two years
hi nevis 42 i have pm,d you have a good season anita woody :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.