Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
we are going to Malta for the first time later next month, i have asked about what to do see this thread some good suggestions have a read

wizard

PS Welcome to HT
We always end up at the same area (Qawra/Bugibba) in February for a few days each year as we go to meet my parents whilst they're in Malta on holiday for 4 weeks.

A pint in that area can be as little as EUR 1,50 if I recall and you could get a full English breakfast at the Bell Pub in Qawra for EUR 2,50 which included fruit juice or tea/coffee plus toast & jam.

If I recall, the resorts of Sliema and St Julians are slightly more expensive but not by that much. If you go to the bottom end of St Julians near to the small harbour and where the cafe bars are along the waterfront, then - it's more expensive again.

Malta is a bit of a contrast as I'm sure you will find out when you get there. My recommendation is to jump on the local buses and see as much of it as possible to get an overall picture of the place.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
thank you wizard and you cyprus for your replies any more info would be very much appreciated

wayne
I got back from Malta at the weekend and found the prices have really gone up since we were there six years ago. Food in the restaurants in the Bugibba area was very expensive and nearly all the breakfasts were 3.50 euros. There's now a hop on hop off bus which does a sightseeing tour of either northern or southern Malta also one round Gozo. It's 15 euros and this also includes a free harbour trip which if taken separately is 15 euros itself. We went on the northern one and it was good, it picked us up at the hotel in Bugibba. Our bus picked up at St. Julians amongst other places. If you buy a 2.60 euros bus ticket you can go on the Arriva buses all day with that ticket which is really good. It was around 13 or 14 degrees when we were there was windy a couple of days and rained twice during the week. Hope you enjoy your holiday.
northantsj wrote:
I got back from Malta at the weekend and found the prices have really gone up since we were there six years ago. Food in the restaurants in the Bugibba area was very expensive and nearly all the breakfasts were 3.50 euros. There's now a hop on hop off bus which does a sightseeing tour of either northern or southern Malta also one round Gozo. It's 15 euros and this also includes a free harbour trip which if taken separately is 15 euros itself. We went on the northern one and it was good, it picked us up at the hotel in Bugibba. Our bus picked up at St. Julians amongst other places. If you buy a 2.60 euros bus ticket you can go on the Arriva buses all day with that ticket which is really good. It was around 13 or 14 degrees when we were there was windy a couple of days and rained twice during the week. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Hi, I'm assuming the last time you were in Malta they would have been using Maltese Lire not Euro - if you last went 6 years ago?
In 2006 Malta was still using LM (Maltese Lire) as they only took the Euro in 2008 (same as Cyprus).
The Maltese ERM was set even higher than that of Cyprus..... eg 1 Cyprus Pound = 1.71 EUR but for the Maltes Lire (1 Maltese Lire = 2.32 EUR) so there's a big difference.

This website shows the exchange for LM to EUR: http://coinmill.com/EUR_MTL.html

We're off back again in around 4 weeks time so it will be interesting to see the prices as we've noticed very little change in them over last 5yrs that we've been visiting. Always at the same time of year in February. Just hope the weather will be kind, that wind is always cold in Malta :yikes

We've never done the hop on hop off buses but did take a day trip to Gozo in 2010 and the weather was gorgeous that year. Hoping for some more of the same as our weather this last month in Cyprus has been rubbish.

Far too much rain.... The dams are overflowing again and they haven't done that since February 2004. We're in for the wettest January for 100 years apparently!

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.