Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
There are plenty of tavernas and the beach is lovely. Low key resort but has everything you need.I'd say go for it!
I agree, Stegna beach is a favourite with the locals and gets busy at weekends, so it wont be like a desert island!

I really reccommend that you go for it.
Thanks you've helped make up my mind - am booking it this pm!
I did think that main tour operators wouldn't go there if there wasn't something there!
I've only ever been there on stop offs on boat trips, but it seems like a nice quiet resort, with a few shops and tavernas etc, and water sports on the beach if you want a go at them.
Stegna is gorgeous, beautiful beach, where the person sitting next to you could be 15ft away, I hate being squashed like sardines on a beach. There are about 30 restaurants, so my mum tells me, she has a house there but its very deceiving, unless you look for them you wouldn't see them at all. Just the one bar, where you can go if you want a later drink at night.
The people are wonderful, there are buses to the town of Archangelos where you will find other buses to Rhodes town and Lindos. Any of the restaurants or the bar will call a taxi for you, we usually get a taxi to Lindos if in need of some nightlife of the "into the early morning variety", hope you have a wonderful time, will be there myself in September, I'll be the one "sitting right in front of Stegna Star on the sunbed nearest the water" That's got my name on it by the way!!LOL..Only about 50 days to go, roll on September..

Oh and sorry, there is a car hire firm right in the middle of the village, you can't miss it, and I think about 3 or 4 mini markets along the strip..
Thanks Andi (will look out for you!) & everyone - all booked & paid for !!
Stegna is a beautiful, peaceful resort with a wide expanse of shingle and sand beach, surrounding a large bay. There are some interesting rock formations and tiny rock islets in the crystal clear water which gently slopes out from teh beach. The resort is reached by a winding (in some instances hairpin bends!) 3km tarmaced road from the village of Archangelos, just after Tsambika on the main Rhodes - Lindos highway. It's about 40 minutes by taxi from the airport (costs 28 Euros). The name Stegna means 'dry' and the area surrounding the resort is very arrid and treeless. We stayed at The Salora apartments (booked with Manos) which are situated up a small lane in between Tsambika Taverna and Mercedes cocktail bar, in the middle of the one road which runs the length of the beach. The owner Jack met us on our arrival and transported our cases up the road. The apartments are pleasantly decorated externally in white with a pale blue stripe, and are among pleasant gardens with bougainvillia and hibiscus around the balconies, the ground floor and 1st floor ones are Manos and the remainder Jack lets out independantly via a website. Interior decoration was clean and tidy with matching pine furnishings, sink / kitchen unit with 2 ring hob and fridge and an electric kettle , there was a plentiful supply of crockery & cutlery. The bathroom area was compact but had a shower curtain, hairdryer and the shower tray was very effective at not leaking water all over the floor! The bathroom and door windows were both fly screened. In our apartment there were 2 patio doors opening onto the reasonably sized patio area with table , chairs x3 and umbrella and a large washing rack with pegs. The apartment was equipped with a TV at a cost of 5 euro daily , and a very small safe (the size of a DVD case!) at 7 euro a week, air conditioning was 8 euro daily and a floor standing fan cost 20 euro a week - this we felt was a bit steep! The linen was changed every 3rd day our first week and then 5 days towards the end of our stay it was left, and toilet roll was not replaced. The bins were emptied daily. The apartments were well situated in the centre of the village, the nearest supermarket being 5mins walk away, and a wide selection of tavernas and fish restaurants were available in the resort. The apartments looked out over the gardens to the Constantinos hotel which during our 1st week was quite peaceful but was quite noisy at night the 2nd week (this didn't bother us much though because we were out most of the time).
There is only one bar in Stegna : Mercedes which obviously gets the customers night after night, they do a popular karaoke on a Tuesday and Sunday, (Thankfully due to Rhodes licensing laws the music stops at 12 midnight!!) and Chris the owner plays and sings live music most nights, some of their prices are a bit steep 3 euro for 500ml beer, 4.50 for cocktails, they also do food until 5pm then just pizza until 9pm. There is also a lending library available there, also they will change sterling for you.
Another late night drinking haunt is En Plo, very friendly helpful owners and staff, and pretty tree covered patio area to sit at in comfortable chairs. They also stock and sell cigarettes.
Stegna has some great places to eat : our favourite : Kosas fish restuarant (as you round the bend at the bottom of the village), large selection of fresh caught fish , seafood, meze and daily specials all home cooked. The owners treated us really well providing a birthday cake for our friend who was celebrating while we were there. Aroma was lovely (next to Knights Castle) you can check internet there, their cheese balls were by far the best ! Knights Castle we found to be a bit contrived and uninspiring. Behind Aroma is Dimitris fish taverna which is a good honest traditional taverna, inexpensive , well cooked fish and home made dishes. Marias (on the road up to the Salora) provided a hearty breakfast - lots of variety and inexpensive traditional foods. We were welcomed and encouraged to practice our faltering greek! The beach is beautiful- comfy padded sunbeds at 6 euro - showers all along the beach and several beach WCs (did not try them though!) The daily influx of boat trippers from Lindos or Rhodes town (some days 4 boats!) really made little difference to the resort as most were shipped into the Gregories restaurant -purpose opened at 1230 for them! and closed as they left at 3- or the meal was shipped out to the boats.
On the whole would recommend Stegna if you want a relaxing time away from the hustle & bustle of loud bars and shops. There is little escape once you are down there, one bus out am. and one bus in pm. Taxis are not frequent, thus car hire is probably your best option.

But why escape from a place like that???
Hi greeklass..

I must say, what a very informative review you have given us on your stay in Stegna. It sounds as if it is an absolutely delightful place, somewhere to visit if you want a laid back holiday. I think it would suit me down to the ground, but from your review, I don't think it would suit two 18 year olds who would be looking for a bit more night life.

I will definately give it more thought if and when my wife and I finally get to go away without the kids.

Once again thankyou for the review, i'm sure it will tempt many people to visit in the future.

regards boaz
Sounds great Greeklass. Thanks for the report, it's a big help. There doesnt seem to be that much info around on the resort.

We are going to Stegna middle two weeks in August and love the quiet places for relaxing holidays.
We are going in August of this year (2006). Sounds nice.
anyone stayed at the tsambika studios what are they like etc....
thnk you in advance
kmann Tsambika studios are at the far end of Stegna next door to the hotel (many german & italians stay there!) , we didn't go to them but they seemed to be up a little side track ? uphill a bit .
Either way I'm sure they will be fine.
Please please has anyone any info on the Tsamika studios Stegna
any photos etc.......
Stegna seems to be unheard of on a lot of Rhodes websites-sounds perfect for us nice and quiet.
Love to see more pics though of our apatments ets.
Is the sea still cold at the end of May?
The sea can be :yikes but if it's a hot day it's good to keep you cool!
I am travelling to Stegna in June, my first trip abroad by myself, feeling very apprehensive but excited. The reviews I have read so far, have made me confident that I have made the right choice with Stegna.

I am travelling with Manos holidays and would like to know if they or any other tour operator (even local companies) run excursions/trips and also what the car hire prices are like.

Also does anyone have any more details on the local buses, I gather there is only one a day out/in to the viliage. I am assuming it goes to Rhodes town, does it travel through/ near to Falaraki/Kalathia Spa areas.

Thanks
Sue
:D 8)
For the buses to Kalithea / Faliraki you need to change at Archangelos but it is very well labelled with timetables and if you ask the driver they will be happy to help.
We are thinking of booking to go to Stegna next May and would appreciate any info on the resort and the Stegna Mare apartments.
hurdler

have merged your post with exhisting thread

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.