Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Are you doing the drop off at Venice airport? If so, head north and try the Dolimites. Cortina may not be any cheaper but the other villages may be worth a look, especially those whose peak is the ski season.
Thanks for the reply....

We're dropping them off at Pisa airport....
Cinque Terre might be a good bet. Depends what you are into of course, but it's very beautiful. You could possibly use Portovenere or La Spezia as a base.
Cinque Terre is that the place where no cars can go?
Yes, but the boat connection is easy enough, and so is the train if it cuts up rough.

Only other thing I can think of in that sort of area might not appeal (it's kind of physical), but we had a very enjoyable time at the south end of Toscana - not really Chiantishire at all - staying in Castagneto Carducci. We had a car, but rented good bikes for a week and scampered about in the region. Nice empty country roads and some stunning scenery around Bolgheri. Stayed in a very pleasant hotel called Zi Martino - it's in the Michelin Rouge and is run by an ex-Tour de France rider and the remainder of his charming extended family. Excellent traditional home cooking; the rabbit and the tortellini were to die for. Lovely pool with olive trees when you are saddle-sore. The place is very popular in the early spring with SERIOUS cyclists (serious like Lance Armstrong), who go there to train in teams. San Vincenzo isn't far away and isn't THAT much to write home about, but does have one of the finest fish restaurants in Italy, bar none (Gambero Rosso).

It's not a big hop to go down to Piombino and get on a boat to Elba, too (Nothing else to see or do in Piombino). There are some nice hotels on the island in Sant' Andrea.

Hard to tell what you want, really. :think
Definitely recommend the train for Cinque Terra!! You might also consider Viareggio for a traditionally italian beach holiday ...............
The cycling sounds a little too much for me but OH would love to do that, he's a an avid cyclist himself and i doubt i could ever keep up with him....And if he got to stay somewhere with an ex tour de france cyclist, he would wax lyrical no end he does enough of it here.... :lol: We're lucky to get anywhere in July....:)

I think we want a relaxing few days as we'll have the wedding the week before plus we will have the parents with us so we'll porbably be worn out by that stage....

Will have a look at Elba and Viareggio as well....

Thank you very much....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.