Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sula Wine
20 Posts
Just did a search on SULA and see that some people have tried it in Goa but it gets mixed reviews. I've never seen it on any of the menus. We usually stay in Candolim. I'd rather buy a bottle to try before ordering it with my dinner. Any sugestions as to where stocks it (at home or in Candolim)
Yep, saw that program all style and very little substance, I was looking forward to it as well.

I tried Sula wines about 6 years ago, it was said they were among the best to offer in India. I thought they were very poor. The white was very acidic and the red was vinegary.

Maybe they have got better or there was some advertising scam going down on TV.
We had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and whilst not fantastic it was nice and a big improvement on Indian wines from before. It went great with a fantastic tandoori crab fresh from the River Sal in our favourite restaurant mmm mmm mmm..... :)
The hotel where we stay in Goa sells Sula red and white wine.

I wouldn't say they are fantastic, I would say they are very palatable and reasonably priced.
Sydney just in case you misread my post I said the wine "wasn't fantastic but nice and an improvement of Indian wines from previous" the tandoori crab now that I said was fantastic :)
If it's the wine I'm thinking of, bottle has a picture of the sun with a face on it, then YUK :!:
It stinks and is way overpriced!
Tightjock, I did not misread your post.

I would say that they are palatable provided you drink the wine with food, that way the taste doesn't stay too long in your mouth. :lol:
  • Edited by sydney 2007-07-17 18:58:07
Well I heard that Elizabeth Hurley was serving it at her 40th birthday party, but we all know what she's like for a freebie :lol:

Seriously though I have tried Sula's Didori Reserve Shiraz, and it wasnt the worst wine I've tasted, nor the best, but just ok, I do agree about it being overpriced though
My wife quite likes the Sula Brut champagne style wine. I think it costs around 500-600 rupees in the shops.
Yes we have come across the Sula wines. I enjoy wine here in the UK with frequent trips across the Channel to stock up. The thing with Goa that you have to remember is that they really do not have the best conditions for storing wine and therefore it has a very short shelf life.

Personally I prefer to keep to G&Ts, Bacardis and Kingfishers :D
Here`s an article on Indian wines I found the other day :) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/652241.stm
I thought that Sula white was probably the worst wine I have ever had in a restaurant.
tried it twice, so not down to one bottle being"off", won't try it again!
Yes, I agree with you entirely. I thought the bottle was 'off' when I tried it. Tried another and was the same.

Their sparkling wine is horrible also. I'm no wine expert but I can tell the difference in taste between good and bad.

Was invited to lunch by a very rich hotel owner in N Goa who served some expensive wine which he said was a top Indian brand and likened to a Sauvignon Blanc .... very rough!! We kept quiet but certainly not even good wine for cooking!

Call me a cynic but maybe there is some kind of 'product placement' thing going on at BBC. It just seems a coincidence that the wine that they find most suitable for their dishes is Indian...... hmmm I'm not that stupid. After the Blue Peter scam I wouldn't trust some of these producers anymore.

There's no doubt that Sula wine is far from good and to me would only sell at £2.99 a bottle max at a UK supermarket. It's overpriced in Goa for a start. The cheapest Spanish domestic wine you buy in 5 litre containers is better than Sula.

Avoid!
That dreaful Sula wine was recommeneded on the BBC Indian cookery programme last Monday - we sat there shouting at the TV saying what a load of rubbish it was.
Thank goodness somebody else agrees with us.
Big Neil - We have a home in Spain - where we are at the moment.

and our local goat man swaps us our olives for a few ltrs of his home made wine (we think his goats produce it) and although we do not drink this liqud we think it is much better than the Goan wine.
Having spent the past 12 weeks in France Sula wines compare favorably with the 5 litre jugs on sale in supermarkets for 4 Euros. :roll:
I was in Bath a couple of months ago and we went to this really nice bar and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Sula wine in the fridge! Me & the hubby had to have as glass just to imagine we were back in Goa!

I do drink the Sula rose though in Goa, it's the best of a bad bunch! There was another make in Goa the last time we went but can't remember the name at the moment but was the best we had tasted.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.