Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello Sharaya

Alvor is abour 15 mins (max) from Portimão and there you can go to the renamed Continente Shopping Centre (previously called Modelo). This is very popular with lots of variety in terms of shops/banks/places to eat/cinema, etc.

There is also a new Retail Park also in Portimão. This is also worth a visit with quite a few different shops including a Carrefour supermarket.

I'm staying at Praia da Rocha (self-catering) during Easter and I'll be paying these a few visits.

Hope you and your family have a good time!
Thanks for the info :D

We stayed in a villa overlooking Albufiera last time we went, we were with the outlaws, sorry, i mean inlaws and tended not to go too far from the villa. We are looking forward to seeing a lot more this time!

:D
The Continente in Portimao is your best bet you can buy everything there and very reasonable, do buy one of their cooked chickens with Piri Piri lovely with salad.Also just across the road is Lidl so you can go in there as well if you want .In Alvor there is also the market which is open every morning where you can buy fresh fruit and Veg and fresh meat and fish .
There is also a supermarket in Alvor which has quite a good selection but is that bit more expensive but handy for things you forget or run out of and for fresh bread.
You will not be able to miss the Continente as it is on one of the main roads in Portimao
I am sure you will have a lovely holiday :D
Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful :D

Really looking forward to escaping to the sun (hopefully) for two weeks.
Alvor is abour 15 mins (max) from Portimão and there you can go to the renamed Continente Shopping Centre (previously called Modelo). This is very popular with lots of variety in terms of shops/banks/places to eat/cinema, etc.

is that walk or drive?
15 mins from Alvor by car too far to walk.But if you have'nt got a car the taxis are very reasonable we stay in Praia do Vau and tend not to hire a car anymore as we know our way around by local transport or Taxi .We are a couple in our 60's and from Vau it takes us at a stroll about 35/40mins to walk to the Continente we have a good buy in and get a taxi back between 4/5 euros
Yes, I meant 15 mins by car since Sharaya refers to hiring a car... and carrying the shopping back to Alvor would not be fun.

I've known many to walk it between Alvor and to enjoy the walk.
I plan to walk it myself during Easter - I need the exercise!
Algarve holidayer we have walked from Vau to Alvor and from Vau to the Continente but no way could I walk from Alvor to the Continente .I applaud you, either you are super fit or much younger than I :?
Algarve Addict

I'm planning to walk between Praia da Rocha and Alvor... have a nice meal in Alvor and walk back!

I'm not really interested in walking to the Continente. I'm not too fond of shopping and walking...shopping kinda spoils the walk!

To shop I tend to go to the Alisuper supermarkets at Praia da Rocha...

A few times I've actually walked from Portimão's train station to Praia da Rocha - stopping at Continente for a juice!

I've been doing walks for a couple of years now...Walks are on average 10 miles each "¦I've done the London Capital Ring; most of the Thames Path (North and South side) and I'm currently doing the London Loop - not all in one day!

I don't think it's a question of age. On my first walk (7miles) I was zapped by the end and spent the following day recovering... Now I can do long walks and feel only a slight twinge the following day!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.