Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Do you mean Puerto Pollensa, as Pollensa is 7 Km inland ?
If so then there are two large ones and lots of small ones. The large ones are the Erisko and the Caprabo, both are on the Pollensa road leading off the main roundabout in the centre of the resort. Erisko is on the right as you leave the roundabout about 250 yards along, the Caprabo is at the roundabout as you reach the edge of town.
yes sorry puerta thanx
Hi, theres a huge supermarket just after the main roundabout as you enter the town. Its on the left and begins with C, sorry cant remember the name. They sell everything and are much cheaper than the smaller supermarkets.

Hope this helps

Sally
forgot to say you need a euro for your trolley.

Sally
Its on the left and begins with C, sorry cant remember the name.

That's the Caprabo, as I stated in my post.
Not quite sure how to phrase this so bear with me... Puerto Pollensa is one of my very favourite places and I can't recommend it highly enough but time after time (particularly in the smaller supermarkets) I seem to get the 'wrong' change after handing over my cash - and it's never in my favour! So much so that I now make a point of checking my change.
Can't say it has ever happened to me, but the opposite is true, if the bill is XX Euros + up to 5 cents then the cents are often waved if they are short of change. Maybe you are seeing the debit side and missing the credit. In general I find the people in PP extremely honest and straightforward in all dealings.
I do check my change but I don't think I've ever had an issue. As mentioned above if they don't have the cents needed they normally give you more change & not less.

The supermarket is Caprabo - if your Spanish is up to it they have a web site http://www.capraboacasa.com - just put the post code 07470 under 'visitante' - it will tell you they don't do deliveries but you can still browse around the site.
We've never had any trouble with change in PP either.

In fact with computerised tills, everything is added up automatically, and when you pay, it says what change you should be getting, so I don't see how there can be problems, just be careful if you are breaking up a large denomination note......

Incidentally, re caprabo, I thought it was pronounced capraBO, but apparently it's caPRAbo :oops:
Incidentally, re caprabo, I thought it was pronounced capraBO, but apparently it's caPRAbo

The rule is that if none of the vowels have an accent above them (a) then if the word ends in a vowel or n or s then the stress is on the next to last syllable....as in CaprAbo.
Spanish, unlike English, is very precise in its pronunciation rules.
Thanks!!

Like PollENsa...as opposed to Pollen-SA, I guess :wink:

Now where's my shopping list?.........
Like PollENsa...as opposed to Pollen-SA, I guess

That's where it gets complicated..... :wink:
cos the LL is pronounced like a soft Y in English....as in Mallorca = Majorca = Mayorca. Then E is pronounced like A in CANE and A is pronounced like A in CAT...so Pollensa = Poe-YAIN-sah.
This is all in Castillian Spanish of course, which the native Mallorquins don't speak, they speak Catalan and Mallorquin. The result is that when you speak to them in Spanish they inevitably reply in English...very frustrating :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.