General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
surprise break
9 Posts
Barcelona would be a good choice, more so if they are in to football, with a visit to the Nou Camp.
Amsterdam is also recommended (your 14 year old will love it there :oops: ), and Thomson have flights for around £40 return on certain dates in October from Doncaster.
Post your travel dates, and no doubt some available offers will come your way.

Best of Luck,

Robby :wink:
Thanks Robby, i had considered barcelona expecially for the footy (me and the boy love footy, rob hates it!) but Rob would love to explore the culture and i think he would like to look around the Nou camp..

I am sure the boy would love Amsterdam also but i think Mum might disapprove of the bits he would like to see.. :lol:

Barca is looking favourite so far but Donny don't actually fly to Barca.. they fly to Gerona and then bus in i think..
If you want to fly from Donny and fancy Spain I suggest Valencia. There is a Valencia thread above - see the second page for my thoughts. Loads to do for a fourteen year old. Great aquarium/sea life centre (14 tanks), makes 'The Deep' look like my 2 foot fish tank at home, huge science museum, great beach. Of course there's footy too!
of course...Valencia.. i forgot about their football team.....what a great idea...cheers.....
I was in both Barcelona & Valencia earlier this year, 3rd time in Barca, 1st time in Valencia.

While Barcelona is a wonderful city & there are plenty of things to keep you busy, I don't think I'll be back until the police have a major crackdown on "street-scum". They're everywhere, & you can tell quite a lot are watching for an off guard tourist. While nothing has ever happened to us, the constant warnings from taxi drivers, hotel staff, bar staff, waiters, mean the threat's never too far from your thoughts. Shame!

Valencia off course has its share of beggars etc, but in & around the Old Town we felt completely at ease anytime of the day. There was plenty to see, & the city is very beatiful. I would recommend the Old Town as opposed to beach hotels.
thanks drewster... i have been checking out offers for prague flying from Donny.. they are so cheap. Barcelona was so expensive from east Mids it was incredible. we are having 2 weeks in GC AI cheaper than what i was quoted off the internet ( and i won't name the site) for 4 days in Barcelona...

I have looked at Valencia from Donny but can't seem to find any flights. May have to try another airport...

I think unless i find something really inspiring.. it will be a toss up between prague and valencia..

any more ideas anyone?

Thanks for all help so far...
Looks like Valencia has been dropped from Doncaster schedules - shame, but it's been added from Leeds Bradford, but not until next May!

A colleague has just come back from Barcelona (3rd visit) and his comments were exactly that of Drewster. He saw four seperate incidents of tourists being scammed so won't be going back.
Prague without doubt, and if a visit to a football game is a must, take him to see Sparta Praha [or Slavia if Sparta are away].

For cheaper flights, there is always Dublin. Ryanair offer plenty of airports to choose from.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.