General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Has she tried anti histamine medicine or tablets.
Maybe a trip to the docs before she goes, explaining what happens,or if she returns with swollen lips book another appointment or go straight round.
I've never heard of this but the sores sound like cold sores of which a lot of people do get in the sun, me included, I'd kill for bigger lips, I was at the back of the queue. :cry:
Thanks Cazz

She said they feel like coldsores but she's never tried antihistamines before, our GP isn't the best and doesn't normally believe us, so I might take a photo this year if it goes bad!
I would buy some one a day anthistamines providing of course she is not taking other medication, I have to take them for about 8 months of the year now due to many allergies something like zirtek would be ideal
Tell her to try using Zovirax on her lips as soon as she goes out in the sun before her lips start to become painful.
when im on holiday i use zovirax everyday, dont know if its keeping them at bay but ,touch wood, i havent had any on holiday for a few years now.
I had a similar problem just last week in Majorca but it was because I got burnt, I forgot my lip cream!!

I was like Hot Lips Hulahan from Mash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They actually felt much bigger that they looked though.

I agree with the antihistamines, such as piriton or similar.
Thanks everyone, some great ideas, it's antihistamine and zovirax, if it doesn't work this yr I'll take her photo and send it to the doctor, I'm not kidding, she looks like the nutty professor when he's turning into the fat dude and his lips come out!
I once came out in some odd spots whilst on holiday - the doc over there wasn't sure what they were and I showed a photo to my own doctor and he too wasn't sure. Anyway, what my doc advised was that I take antihistamines 2 weeks before I go on holiday and whilst there. So your mam might be advised to do that also. However, check with pharmacist as some people (I think it's asthmatics - can't take antihistamines)
I used to have all sorts of lumps and bumps come and go within 24 hours. They'd always gone by the time I got a doctors appointment and I'm sure my GP didn't believe me until I showed him a photo my husband took of my Nutty Professor lips (which came up as I was getting ready for a party on New Years Eve!). Anyway, I would recommend taking antihistamine tablets (I took Zirtek) - one a day and start taking them a couple of weeks before she goes - anice
Hi all

I am nearly a pharmacist... just another few months now.. studying for my finals at moment... Anyway I would say go with Clarityn above Zirtek as it has the least drowsiness as side effect. Some people feel Zirtek doesnt cause any drowisness others seem to be more sensitive so for the lease chance clarityn (loratadeine) is preferable. Just maybe watch out for this first few times you take it if youre doing any driving say.

Piriton is one of the sedating antihistamines, which while very effective, wil most likely cause drowsiness. Not good if youre on hols.

Also alcohol can increase sedating effect of antihistamines usually more so with something like piriton than zirtek so just beware of this for first few times you take it.

No major concern re asthma ,, that i know of, there is though a caution with epilepsy. Always good to check if you are taking any other meds though. Hope this works for you! have a good hol

Catheirne
Yes my son has asthma and takes piriton as well as he has loads of allergys... would you believe his lips swell when he eats apples
Excellent advice, thanks everyone!

My mum said she's not tried an anti allergy although she's not got any other allergies as far as I know! She'll give that a go! We're taking a trip into holland and barret to see what they have, somone recoemnded a suplement that prevents coldsores that might be helpful... will report back :)
somone recoemnded a suplement that prevents coldsores that might be helpful

Holland & Barratt gave me some Lysine tablets for my son's recurring cold sores a few years ago and they cleared up fine.

Also, I would vouch for Clarityn over Zirtek or Piriton any day - I've had cetirizine (Zirtek) for my hayfever and I was falling asleep on buses, but I don't have a problem with loratidine (Clarityn). Piriton is supposed to be the best for skin allergies including prickly heat (according to my pharmacist anyway) but it turns me into a zombie and they're a hassle with having to take up to 4 a day, compared to one a day with the others.
The brand name antihistamines can be expensive - and the cheap shop's own ones are exactly the same ingredients - Boots do their own "value" ones for £1 for 7 tablets in a choice of loratidine (non-drowsy) or cetirizine (zombie pills...)
My son takes piriton, the doctor said it will make him a bit drowsie.....................................................opposite in fact, all summer whilst he takes it he's hyper!!!!!! but it works for him, could be just the fact that he gets out the house a lot more in the summer :? :?
Yeah I normally take clarityn for my hayfever and other allergies, she's never thought of trying them before but will give them a wack this time. Thanks Cyber

And thanks Cazz, thats the name of it, and it's great to know of someone else who's tried it!
Hi I suffer from the same problem and just not when we go on holiday our doctors are great and am given accilovar tablets which work a treat they are only avaiable on prescription hope this helps.
I got blisters in my mouth and very sore lips while I was in Turkey. I went into the egg sarnie (eczane - cehmist and he gave me some Daktarin cream and said to sqeeze about an inch of cream into a cup, add hot water and use it as a mouthwash.

2 days and it was clear.
I've come out with cold-sores a couple of times in Tunisia and the pharmacist out there gave me Aciclivor (which I can't spell :roll:) and it worked a treat.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.