Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Syros
10 Posts
We have thought about Syros but had trouble finding it in brochures.Are you doing a package or going independent?Any info welcome.
We've booked it as a package from the Olympic Holidays brochure (off the beaten track section). Will report back on our return.
Stayed in Syros quite a few years ago in Galissas and really loved the place but it was in the day of the drachma so cannot really advise about banks as we took money with us, there was a beautiful restaraunt I think it was called the brothers it was run by three brothers it was immaculate no plastic at all as they were all enviromental friendly wish I could be more helpful but glad it's reachable again as it seemed to disappear from brochures.
pojo
Some information and pictures can be found at http://delboy85.tripod.com/syros/
Syros is easy to reach for DIY holidays. Athens via BA is nowadays very good value for money, with three flights a day. Express buses connect the airport hourly with Piraieus, and frequent ferries run to Syros.

It's a busy island, population 35,000, capital of the Cyclades. The main town bustles with activity, Greek in character, and has lots of delightful tavernas cluttering up the pedestrian areas around the back streets.

ATMs are common in the town.

Accommodation outside the Greek high season (mid July to late August) is plentiful. There are several tour agencies around the harbour where you can find further info about beaches (plenty of nice ones) and accommodation.

JimB
We went to Syros with Olympic Holidays and stayed in Galissas in September 2006. We like quiet holidays and this suited us except that the resort was closing down for the winter when we arrived on the 15th of September and the entire beach had been cleared of shades and beds a few days before we left on the 30th!

The main problem was that it limited the choice of eating places in the evening and most of those were not opening at lunchtime. The Brother's stayed open till we left although they were going to shut at the end of our first week, but stayed open as they were full each night, due to the dwindling competition.

There were no cash points in Galissas but the bus to the main town was every hour and arrived on time. Rare but true! The 15 minute journey cost 1euro 5 cents each. We learnt to keep small change rather than discarding it as we usually do.

The bus route is a circle around the southern part of the island with a bus going in each direction. We were still only charged the same amount to take the 45 minute journey to end in the main town if we went the long way. We looked for likely places to visit and then used the bus at least every other day. The funny thing was that when we only went part of the way around the route, we were charged more, but still good value.

We stayed in the Dolphin Bay Hotel which was first class by Greek standards, with fantastic views over the bay. The hotel is used by Greek tour operators with coach parties that stay between one night and a week, with the buffet breakfast being shared with up to 150 Greek pensioners all talking at the same time. A fantastic experience, with very friendly people that loved to practice their English.

We would recommend Syros for a quieter holiday, but also recommend going before September.
We too are staying in Galissas in May. We stayed at Galissas Studios last May and like it so much we have booked again for the same two weeks this year! It is very quiet and laid back, perfect for a relaxing peaceful holiday.

Gary Clarkson's comments about some of the restaurants being closed in September apply in May also. Some of them had not opened for the season when we were there last May. There are no ATMs or banks in Gallisas but there are plenty in Hermoupoli, to which, as has been mentioned there is a cheap reliable bus service.

By Greek island standards standards Hermoupoli is massive. It is very Greek, with, thankfully, hardly any concessions to tourism. It is full of "real" shops, cafes, and restaurants, catering to the indigenous population. A taxi back to Galissas cost around 6 euros last year so it is possible to eat at one of the many restaurants there and not break the bank:)

For a change of scenery there is a pleasant 40 minute walk to Finikas which has a few more bars & restaurants, and one day I walked to Kini but had to get the bus back!

Because of the flight/ferry timings we had to spend our last night on Mykonos last year ( and presumably will again this year). The difference between Mykonos Town and Hermoupoli was stark. Mykonos was full of tourist shops selling tourist tat, and had, imo, been 'ruined' by tourism.
where exactly is galissas studios, we have booked for a fortnight in July and I read so many fantastic things about the place, glad to hear that it is very Greek, we have been learning the language at night school since september. does anyone have any photos of galissas or galissas studios or could anyone tell me how I would find it on google maps?

cheers
We are staying at Galissas studios in August could anyone tell me if there is any fishing in the resort. How long it takes to get to the beach from the studios and roughly how may tavernas there are in the resort. :hols
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.